cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my options?

Innovations
Grafter

What are my options?

I pay £22 per month and now I'm getting 132Kbps, and frequent disconnections. It may not be PLUS's fault but the bottom line is this is a waste of money. What do people suggest? Certainly I should move off this expensive package, but maybe something like T-Mobile Web-and Walk would be better. At least it might work?
21 REPLIES
lingbob
Grafter

What are my options?

It's more than likely a BT problem but before you go dashing off to another ISP and possibly ending up in the same boat, have you done a thorough check on your hardware, filters, cabling etc. If you have and everything checks out OK, have you gone through PlusNet's fault checker.
Innovations
Grafter

What are my options?

I'm not the only person in this kind of situation. Also my broadband has been working with same hardware/filters/wiring etc until the recent changes.

It seems to me I have these options:

1 Get the cheapest deal either with Plus or someone else. If I'm destined to have dial-up speeds, at least don't pay a premium.

2 Move to BT. Perhaps a single supplier will be able to correct problems better

3 Move to Radio. 3G/GPRS seems to be price competitive now.

What are other people thinking of doing?
Community Veteran

What are my options?

There are many many people out there who have problems with their internet due to BTw's incompetence!

If you do move to another ISP that uses BTw then its worth bearing in mind that you will most likely experience the same problems and the same inability to get anything done about it!

Also bare in mind that moving to BT Retail will have no/little effect on speeding things up as BT Wholesale must treat them the exact same as they would treat PN and every other ISP that use them.
Innovations
Grafter

What are my options?

OK forget changing ISP. Can I pay BT to upgrade my line in some way? What do people think of GPRS/3G and just give up on the telephone line?
N/A

What are my options?

Personally, I'd wonder down to your master socket, unscrew and remove the bottom half, and shove your router in the socket you will see.

Now, notice the sync rate, SNR and Attenuation figures and post them to this thread.

Notice that this will disconnect all your internal phones that may use this phone line (until you screw the cover back on), so don't do it if someone is already on the phone (unless of course you don't like them Cheesy )
Innovations
Grafter

What are my options?

I've removed all the phones and this is what I get:

SNR Margin: Down: 6.3db Up: 7db

Line Attenutation: Down: 59db Up: 31.5

Data Rate Down: 3392 kbps Up: 448

This gives a speed on the Plus Meter of 234.6Kbps
shellsong
Grafter

What are my options?

This gives a speed on the Plus Meter of 234.6Kbps

Is that Kbps (Kilobits per second) or KBps (KiloBytes per second)?

If the latter its probably reasonable otherwise I'd suggest you check with the BT Speedtest-- if it's still below 400Kbps then it's a BT line or contention issue otherwise it's PlusNet contention or similar!
Innovations
Grafter

What are my options?

That's kilobits. Otherwise I'd be very happy.

Now I plug in the Dect phone:

SNR Margin: Down: 12.1 db Up: 18db

Line Attenuation: Down: 61.7db Up: 31.5

Data Rate: Down: 2080 kbps Up: 448

Plus Test: 132.8 kbps
shellsong
Grafter

What are my options?

Hmm! I don't know why your DECT phone should cause your router to resync-- is it plugged in via a really good quality microfilter?

Did you just plug in the DECT phone or did you disconnect your router while you were doing it?

It's strange that the upstream SNR increased by 11dB with no equivalent change of sync speed
Innovations
Grafter

What are my options?

I switched the modem off an on. It's up and down several times a day anyway - even at these ultra-low speeds.

I'll get a different filter tomorrow. See if that helps.
shellsong
Grafter

What are my options?

The sync rate, even though it may vary due to different conditions when you resync, is high enough not to be a reason for your apparently low download speeds

Assuming low contention on your local circuit to the exchange and PNs pipes you should be able to achieve download rates close to the sync rate-- that's why I suggested doing the BT Speedtest because it would provide an indication of whether the problem might lie in the BT part of your connection or PlusNet's part
Innovations
Grafter

What are my options?

At 18:58 today BT was showing 135 kbps. Curiously after re-starting Plus, I've got some new figures:

SNR now 6/18
Line Attenuation 59/31
Data 3360/448.

Yet on the Plus test it's still 136.7 kbps. How come 3360kbs gets wound down to 137?
shellsong
Grafter

What are my options?

It's problems on your BT part of the connection-- either bad contention or some other problem.

You'll need to go through the PlusNet fault procedure involving three BT Speedtests at different times and whatever else they say so that they can get BT to sort it out

Go to the Broadband Fault Checker via Connection Settings and follow the automated drill!
N/A

What are my options?

Hmm! I don't know why your DECT phone should cause your router to resync-- is it plugged in via a really good quality microfilter?

I've got a phone here that when plugged in causes my downstream SNR to decrease by 6db, basically causing my modem to resync and consistantly lose 3000 kbps from the connection. Remove the phone, and the SNR immediately increases by 6db and rebooting the router obtains the previous speed (3000kbps higher).