cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What PlusNet Account am I on?

stevenh

Hi there, first post from me on this forum.

Maybe I am being daft, but I cannot see what account I am on now as what I purchased 4 years ago does not seem to 'fit' with any of the existing services!

I purchased "ADSL Home Self-Install (Monthly Contract) - PCI Starter Pack" in 1992 and I pay £21.99 per month.

Am I getting the service I deserve for this? When I connect my speed is coming up as 2.2Meg which makes me think I may be getting the right connection but just wanted to confirm.

I am, however a bit worried about the latest announcement over traffic shaping and idle timeouts - will either of these apply to my account?

Any help gratefully received!

Cheers guys,
Steven.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the forums.

From the Account details on the left you will see a summary of your current product.

Your original product is now "up to 2mb Premier" at £21.99.

Your connection speeds etc will be the same and you seem to have been upgraded to 2mb from the original 512kbps.

Traffic shaping will apply to your account, but should really only effect P2P downloads. Normal web, email and http downloads should not be effected.

The idle timeout will only affect Broadband Plus and Home Surf products, so will have no bearing on you.

Hope that helps.
stevenh

Thanks for that Mark!

After a bit more investigation, it all ties in as I have 250mb web space and cgi access, etc. so it does indeed look like I am a Broadband Premier customer Cheesy

So it looks like i'll have to get all my BitTorrents downloaded before 16th September then :lol:
N/A

This is interesting... did they change your account without asking you? Sad

I'm currently paying £21.99 (before referrals) for ADSL Home Self-Install. I wouldn't mind a bit of extra speed but I'm loathed to change it when it is (for the large part) fairly stable and has all the features I need.

I also don't want to lose my static ip address (or have it changed particularly), I don't want to be dropped when idle, and I don't want to lose SMTP mail forwarding. I can't really understand being able to provide the last of these without also providing the second.

I can't remember the feature list of ADSL Home in bullet point form so I can't work out what features Premier is missing... something, I assume, as it's the same price for 4 times the bandwidth (downstream only, I presume?).

hashpling
Community Veteran

The only difference between ADSL home and broadband premier is the fee spam/av included with premier. For all the other services your current product is identicle to broadband premier upto 2Mbs which means you have a static IP, the idle timeout does not apply and you can use SMTP mail as you do now

The idle timeout only applies to broadband plus and ADSL Homesurf..
N/A

Sounds like I'm getting a raw deal at the moment then... if my line can handle any more than 0.5Mbps. Is the Premier contention lower as well? 1:20 vs. 1:50? I always thought that 1:20 was reserved for overpriced "business" products?

It looks like a change from my current account to Premier is classed as an "upgrade" despite the monthly fee being the same. Is it still "the summer"?

Beginning in April and continuing through the summer, all PlusNet residential broadband customers will have their lines upgraded to the fastest speed they can support (up to 2Mb). This will be FREE.

If so could I "upgrade" to 0.5Mbps Premier and wait the the free speed increase for no extra one off outlay?

I think I just hijacked this thread Shockedops: . Sorry!

hashpling
Community Veteran

Your account and premier are both BT 50:1 contention and PlusNet 30:1 contention (don't ask what this actually means in real terms because it has been discussed to death and still amny don;t really nderstand what it means!). As I said, your account features are identicle to premier except for the spam/av.

You can change to the premier product for free if you really want to because the monthly fee is the same so is not classed as an upgrade - remembering that doing so also means you agree to the T&C current at the time you change. Doing this will not change your inclusion into the free speed upgrade.

Your current account is also included in the free speed upgrades. It's possible your line can only support 512K speeds but also your exchange may not have been done by BT yet. Put your phone number into the usertools exchange checker (see sig) and it will tell you what DSLAM you are on and when BT planned to upgrade it. The BT free speed upgrade schedule has slipped many times so even if your date was in the past, BT may still have not got to you yet.
N/A

Thank you, that was very helpful. I was certain that ADSL Home Surf was limited to 512kbps. It looks like there is no point going to Premier, then. I'll just sit and wait for eternity or BT to do their thing... whatever comes first. I shall go and read up on contention ratios :shock: .
Community Veteran

Are you on ADSL homesurf or ADSL home self install? They are too very different products

Homesurf costs £18.99/month and is not the same as premier, ADSL home is £21.99/month and is.
N/A

Sorry, I was careful when I posted the first time:

ADSL Home Self-Install

You mentioned the word "homesurf" and it stuck in my brain and spilled out at the wrong time as I was being careless Smiley !
stevenh

Sorry, just back from a weekend away!

Not sure if my account has actually been 'changed' but all I know is my speed is now up at 2 Meg, and nothing else seems to have deteriorated so I am a happy bunny for the timebeing Cheesy

It does take quite some time to actually connect to ADSL when first switched on, but I thought this may be down to the local exchange being busy?!

Apart from that, everything is peachy.
N/A

Your original product is now "up to 2mb Premier"

I can understand what he means according to my account details I am still on " ADSL Home 1Mb - Router Starter Pack (No activation fee, Deferred hardware cost)" :-) :-) :-)
N/A

Indeed.

Too many current and legacy accounts to contend with. Surely there has to be an easier way. Smiley
N/A

And as if by magic... I've just been upgraded to 2Mbps too Cool ... right on queue!