cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Happens to the Free Domain Name When I Move?

N/A

I've finally asked for my MAC so that I can move from Plus Net and I was wondering what happens to the free domain name that comes with my Plus Net account.

I have run a Whois on it and it seems to have been registered in my name, so does that mean that I can transfer the name out to my new ISP/Host provider providing I am willing to pay the domain name fee and if so do I have to do it before I switch ISP or after?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Click on Domain Names, then the transfer out button next to the domain. It will tell you if there are any charges to move it elsewhere. If there are none, you can just change the IPSTAG to your new registrar and the transfer will happen within 48 hours.

Note: check with who you want t omove the domain too first as you may need to let them know you want to transfer the domain to them before you change the ISPTAG. i.e. for 1and1, you have to create an account with the domain you are transfering in before you change anything at PlusNets end.

I can't remember if there is a charge to move a free domain, but I suspect there may be.
N/A

Thanks for that. As long as I can keep it I'm not too worried about the cost, unless it's totally extotionate that is.