cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Else Is Needed To Connect

gilleyman
Dabbler

Hi, I have just ordered my new broadband from Plusnet and have bought a new 1 port router from them, my question is do I need other hardware like Earthnet PCI card, if I do which one should I go for, maybe one that is tried and tested.

Many Thanks for any help.

arthur
7 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

most of what you need will come with the router that +net send you
this will include phone cable, line filter and ethernet cable

as for your ethernet port it depends on how old your system is as to whether you have a lan port already on your motherboard

most if not all pc`s now have lan ports as standard you can check this by having a look either in your mainboard manual (if you have it) or the manufacturers web site
or look at the back of your pc to see if the port is there
it is a little larger than the modem port but looks very similar
gilleyman
Dabbler

I have checked the motherboard manual and it says LAN JACK (Optional) The motherboard privides one standard RJ-45 jack for connection to Local Area Network (LAN). You can connect a network cable to a LAN jack, that was from the book so it seems all I need is this LAN Jack to get me started along with all the other stuff that plusnet will be sending me nearer the time my exchange is updated, thank you for the help.

arthur
N/A

will look like that
holdtight
Grafter

Yes sounds like you have the lan port that you need to get connected Cheesy

if you want to double check it looks like this but of course you will just have the one
gilleyman
Dabbler

No I have checked the back and there is nothing there remotely like the pictures, so I may need the optional cable, I will contact my comuter supplier and get the correct one from him, lucky I have plenty of time to get things sorted beforehand.

Thanks arthur
N/A

all you will need is a PCI network card, you can pick these up for about £10 from any computer shop. just walk in and ask for a 10/100 network card and they will get you one Smiley

Buz
gilleyman
Dabbler

Thanks buzzons for all your help I will do as you say tomorrow at least I will be ready then for the plusnet pack to arrive.

Regards arthur