cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What ADSL modem to choose/use?

Routefinder
Grafter

What ADSL modem to choose/use?

I am currently using an Asante FR3004FLC Router to utilise my dial modem (on a serial port) and my printer (on the parrallel port) - nice router this with these features.

Right, my area is due to get ADSL in June so I am looking at what ADSL modem I can get/use.

The Asante is a 4 port router with a WAN port and the serial port for dial up modem fall back. The web interface of the router offers a wide variety of DSL type setup's e.g. Dynamic IP, DSL(always on),Static IP

So, what type of ADSL modems are there that will connect to the WAN port and allow me to use the Routers setup interface. Most of the ADSL products are either "straight" USB types or ADSL routers with their own connection setups.

Help and guidance please on this dilemma.
9 REPLIES
Routefinder
Grafter

RE: What ADSL modem to choose/use?

> I am currently using an Asante FR3004FLC Router to utilise my dial modem (on a serial port) and my printer (on the parrallel port) - nice router this with these features.
>
> Right, my area is due to get ADSL in June so I am looking at what ADSL modem I can get/use.
>
> The Asante is a 4 port router with a WAN port and the serial port for dial up modem fall back. The web interface of the router offers a wide variety of DSL type setup's e.g. Dynamic IP, DSL(always on),Static IP
>
> So, what type of ADSL modems are there that will connect to the WAN port and allow me to use the Routers setup interface. Most of the ADSL products are either "straight" USB types or ADSL routers with their own connection setups.
>
> Help and guidance please on this dilemma.

PS Meant to ask, what connection protocol is the PlusNet ADSL? Is it common to BT for all ISPs and if so what is/are the type of connection protocol?

N/A

> PS Meant to ask, what connection protocol is the PlusNet ADSL? Is it common to BT for all ISPs and if so what is/are the type of connection protocol?
>

Hi,

ADSL is normally PPP over ATM (PPPoA) - this is what BT Wholesale uses for ADSL in the country for pretty much all ISPs.

Regards,
Richard

--
| Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

Routefinder
Grafter

> > PS Meant to ask, what connection protocol is the PlusNet ADSL? Is it common to BT for all ISPs and if so what is/are the type of connection protocol?
> >
>
> Hi,
>
> ADSL is normally PPP over ATM (PPPoA) - this is what BT Wholesale uses for ADSL in the country for pretty much all ISPs.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> --
> | Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>
>

Hi Richard

I have checked the Router manual and offers PPPoE, is this compatible?

In the light of this info can you answer the main question I put about the choice of ADSL modem?

Many thanks in anticipation of your guidance.

N/A

> I have checked the Router manual and offers PPPoE, is this compatible?

Hi, unfortunately PPPoE is not compatible - this is what is used in the USA for their DSL.

> In the light of this info can you answer the main question I put about the choice of ADSL modem?
>

If your router's WAN port is RJ45 (ethernet), then you will at least a very simple router. ADSL terminates using a standard phone jack which provides an ATM signal (not ethernet), so you'll need a device which interprets these signals into ethernet frames (usually a router).

Regards,
Richard

--
Routefinder
Grafter

> > I have checked the Router manual and offers PPPoE, is this compatible?
>
> Hi, unfortunately PPPoE is not compatible - this is what is used in the USA for their DSL.
>
> > In the light of this info can you answer the main question I put about the choice of ADSL modem?
> >
>
> If your router's WAN port is RJ45 (ethernet), then you will at least a very simple router. ADSL terminates using a standard phone jack which provides an ATM signal (not ethernet), so you'll need a device which interprets these signals into ethernet frames (usually a router).
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> --

Hmmmmmmm!!!!!!

My router does offer "Dynamic IP" but the detail is a bit dense - refers to setting the MAC address because I surmise refering to a Cable modem account etc. But I think I read into it that if it can obtain the IP of a PPPoA compatible ADSL router then it can "talk" through that to get the connection. Basically, it must be possible to physically connect 2 routers as part of LAN setup and for one of the routers to be an ADSL type for the ISP access?

Any thoughts or guidance on this aspect.

N/A

>But I think I read into it that if it can obtain the IP of a PPPoA compatible ADSL router then it can "talk" through that to get the connection. Basically, it must be possible to physically connect 2 routers as part of LAN setup and for one of the routers to be an ADSL type for the ISP access?

Hi,

This is possible, in fact this is a similar setup used if you were to have a hardware firewall on your LAN - you simply forward the traffic through from the ADSL router to your main router/firewall.

Regards,
Richard

--
Routefinder
Grafter

> >But I think I read into it that if it can obtain the IP of a PPPoA compatible ADSL router then it can "talk" through that to get the connection. Basically, it must be possible to physically connect 2 routers as part of LAN setup and for one of the routers to be an ADSL type for the ISP access?
>
> Hi,
>
> This is possible, in fact this is a similar setup used if you were to have a hardware firewall on your LAN - you simply forward the traffic through from the ADSL router to your main router/firewall.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> --

Richard

Yes, my Asante router has a NAT firewall.

Can you give a bit more detail as the process of setting up the "you simply forward the traffic through from the ADSL router to your main router/firewall".

Your help in understanding this would be appreciated.

Routefinder
Grafter

> > >But I think I read into it that if it can obtain the IP of a PPPoA compatible ADSL router then it can "talk" through that to get the connection. Basically, it must be possible to physically connect 2 routers as part of LAN setup and for one of the routers to be an ADSL type for the ISP access?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is possible, in fact this is a similar setup used if you were to have a hardware firewall on your LAN - you simply forward the traffic through from the ADSL router to your main router/firewall.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Richard
> >
> > --
> > | Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> > | Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
> > | PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
> > + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>
> Richard
>
> Yes, my Asante router has a NAT firewall.
>
> Can you give a bit more detail as the process of setting up the "you simply forward the traffic through from the ADSL router to your main router/firewall".
>
> Your help in understanding this would be appreciated.
>
>

PS Just as I had posted this bit I found a ref on the Solwise forum that Plus Net supplied a SAR110 I had looked at the manual for this ADSL router and I thought it was not compatible with PPPoA?

Is the SAR110 OK now or is it a PlusNet special version?

Could it used in the scenario above or would the SAR703 be a better choice?
N/A

> > Richard
> >
> > Yes, my Asante router has a NAT firewall.
> >
> > Can you give a bit more detail as the process of setting up the "you simply forward the traffic through from the ADSL router to your main router/firewall".
> >

Hi,

Unfortunately we cannot go into that level of support for how you set up your own LAN - however, I am sure that someone in this forum will have done this themselves and may help you out here.

>
> PS Just as I had posted this bit I found a ref on the Solwise forum that Plus Net supplied a SAR110 I had looked at the manual for this ADSL router and I thought it was not compatible with PPPoA?

The SAR110 is PPPoA compatible, and can be used on a standard BT ADSL connection.

> Is the SAR110 OK now or is it a PlusNet special version?

This is a standard version, and has not been modified by ourselves.

> Could it used in the scenario above or would the SAR703 be a better choice?
>

Not being familiar with the SAR703 - unfortuntely I cannot help you out here. Again, someone in this forum may be able to provide a useful insight.
The SAR110 however should have no problems with the above configuration.

Regards,
Richard

--