cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to hell

N/A

Welcome to hell

Here's a copy of my last ticket, if you read this before it gets deleted by the 'moderator' then consider yourself lucky :-

My service has been diabolical for the past 2 months although the past week of dial up speeds has been a particularly low point. It comes to something when you're ecstatic to achieve 1/2Mb broadband. Having given your support team a fair but futile chance for a month I tried to terminate my contract with you via your ticket system but after having been passed from one department to the other I was unsuccessful. I have tried ringing you but your call system has been, deliberately I assume, put into a loop when you press 3 to log a connection problem. I cannot talk to you and you refuse to cancel my contract. If it wasn't me on the receiving end I would find your joke of a company funny, although I take some consellation in the fact that Sky, and probably NTL in the ensuing price war, will kill off your company within the next year or two. I am cancelling my direct debit, please have the decency to terminate the contract when your Accounts department find out I am no longer paying. Thank you.
23 REPLIES
N/A

Welcome to hell

And I thought I was the only one! Seems if you can get a high speed connection (8mbps) everything is ok but anyone with a slower connection gets any problems, PlusNet are unable to help and unwilling to admit it. Had no problems and even recommended PlusNet before high speed (ha f*****g ha) arrived, since then there seems to be only one answer, Pipex here I come! Before I do that though, are the same problems likely to surface with anyone else?
hitachi
Grafter

Welcome to hell

Why would you expect a post which breaks no forum rules to be deleted by the mods?
N/A

Welcome to hell

I requested my MAC code on Friday from PN and received it on Sunday. Can't complain about the service at all. 48 hours turnaround time is excellent.

Raised the MAC code request via the PN web site rather than phoning their help desk.

Once my broadband is safely transferred to Sky, I will then chase up the cancellation of my PN account itself. (First things first in case the broadband transfer goes pear shaped.)
N/A

Once bitten

Why would you expect a post which breaks no forum rules to be deleted by the mods?

Fair question. It's because the last message I posted a few weeks ago was deleted within a couple of hours and it didn't break any rules either. I therefore just assumed that it was standard practise. That was part of the reason I decided to try and leave this company although that unfortunately seems impossible too :-( I would get angry about it but I'm past caring now, I just want to get the hell out but I'm at a complete loss as to how to do so.
N/A

Welcome to hell

Before I do that though, are the same problems likely to surface with anyone else?

I honestly have no idea, but the way I see it, how can anyone be any worse? Something is better than nothing right? I'm guessing here but I believe that the culprit here is the LLU with Tiscali, but like I say I'm guessing. If that was the case though, then all you have to do is go with someone who isn't using LLU, or at least isn't using Tiscali at your local exchange. All guesswork, but maybe food for thought? In any case, good luck, I'm sure whoever you pick will be a step forward.
shellsong
Grafter

Welcome to hell

You may well have the same problems with another ISP-- the important question is whether they will be better or worse at helping you sort them out. It certainly seems that the basic PN customer service is getting more brickbats than brownie points on the forum at the moment but this is true of a lot of ISPs.

Much problem sorting is dependent on whether the ISP is capable of "motivating" BT and I'm afraid this seems to be a bit of a black art! :roll:
N/A

Welcome to hell

I have been waiting over 2 weeks for my mac code.
N/A

Welcome to hell

Fair question. It's because the last message I posted a few weeks ago was deleted within a couple of hours and it didn't break any rules either.

Hi there. Your previous thread was removed by a member of the moderating team, not because of what you posted, but because of the comments and personal attacks made on the thread by another user.

No post or thread will be edited or removed without justification and there is absolutely no reason to deal with this thread as it now stands.It is far from standard practive to remove threads which provide feedback, negative or otherwise. A fact which can be bourne out by a brief trawl of the forums.

If any confusion arose following the moderating actions I apologise for that.
N/A

Welcome to hell

You may well have the same problems with another ISP
Much problem sorting is dependent on whether the ISP is capable of "motivating" BT

That may be true if BT was involved at any point along the route from my house to PlusNet's servers but having checked earlier today it appears that my exchange is one of the 13 (unlucky for some) exchanges in the East Midlands that now have PlusNet's partner in crime Tiscali operating in them.

As OfCom state "Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) is the process where the incumbent operators (BT and Kingston in the UK) makes its local network (the copper cables that run from customers premises to the telephone exchange) available to other companies.", so in my case I have no problem with BT, just with Tiscali/PlusNet it would seem. I know other people who live a few miles away that use PlusNet but their exchange is not LLUed to Tiscali and they have had only minor problems (in comparison) following their switch to maxDSL.

For anyone reading this having problems with PlusNet, check at www.samknows.com whether your exchange is LLUed to Tiscali and if so that's probably your problem. The solution then is to ditch PlustNet and go with anyone who doesn't use Tiscali as their LLU operator.
N/A

Welcome to hell

Your previous thread was removed by a member of the moderating team, not because of what you posted, but because of the comments and personal attacks made on the thread by another user.

If that was the case then offending posts should have been deleted but that didn't happen, instead my entire thread was deleted. That was out of order.
shellsong
Grafter

Welcome to hell

That may be true if BT was involved at any point along the route from my house to PlusNet's servers but having checked earlier today it appears that my exchange is one of the 13 (unlucky for some) exchanges in the East Midlands that now have PlusNet's partner in crime Tiscali operating in them.

That might be true if the unbundling was complete but in fact the unbundling happens in the exchange where Tiscali have their own equipment installed cheek by jowl with BTw's or possibly right next door!

The "copper" from your house to the exchange is still wholly owned and maintained by BT!!!-- By and large this is still the weakest link in the present broadband infrastructure
N/A

Welcome to hell

That might be true if the unbundling was complete ... The "copper" from your house to the exchange is still wholly owned and maintained by BT!!!

I stand corrected. Thinking about it of course your right, you never get a Tiscali employee coming out to check your line, it's always a BT engineer.

I think it highly unlikely that all the problems indicated by Plusnet customers that have been switched to Tiscali at their local exchange are all caused by a problem suddenly appearing in their copper wire (maybe 1% or 2% though - copper does deteriorate after all). I would still maintain however that the problem is much more likely to do with the Tiscali equipment/setup/competence. In which case switching to any provider that doesn't use Tiscali as their LLU operator would still solve your problem, like I said I know people still with PlusNet but not using Tiscali and they aren't having these problems.

Thanks ShellSong for your input, it's just a pity that I've had a far more informative and interesting conversation with yourself about this problem than I have with any PlusNet employee, and yet you have no vested interest in helping me whereas PlusNet should feel obliged to. I guess that just sums up the company and the way I now feel about them.
N/A

Welcome to hell

As far as I can see from comments on the web there are major problems with all ISPs at the moment. BT is closely involved even if your line is LLUed. It owns the copper and is responsible for the recabling which is done at the exchange to connect you into the ISPs DSLAM (ie the kit which manages the ADSL connection). In principle this is a simple operation requiring that you are unplugged from the BT DSLAM and replugged to the ISP's own DSLAM. A connection then has to be made back into BT's PSTN (ie voice) system to enable your phone. Clearly if you also have unbundled voice that is not done. Having said all that there are some opportunities for error such as plugging you into the wrong connection on the DSLAM, unplugging you from BT's DSLAM and not connecting you to the ISP ket etc etc.
I guess there is little incentive for BT to get all this right as essentially they are losing a customer if you are LLUed. You cannot progress issues directly with BT hence things go into some sort of cyber black hole and you know the problem with black holes is that nothing escapes.
N/A

Welcome to hell

I just want stable internet!!! Over 2 months now I have been having dropped connections to the point that I am just fed up. No more nagging from me on this issue. I have asked for my MAC key and been told this cannot be provided and I need instead to find out if my new ISP is participatiing in the Reverse LLU Migration Pilot. I was thinking of moving over to Tiscali.

What can I do? Can someone suggest a reliable ISP? My exchange is South Harrow (LWSHAR) and I am happy with up to 2mb speed with unlimited downloads. Tired of going back and forth with PN via emails, calls, etc. Just wanna leave now.