Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail with Outlook?

pcorker
Grafter

Webmail with Outlook?

Hi
To save me searching (in a rush!) can anyone tell me if we can use Outlook (not Express) to read plusnet mail when using a different ISP (for son off to Uni) (ie like using the webmail page on the portal but via Outlook))
18 REPLIES
N/A

Webmail with Outlook?

Hi there.

Yes you can indeed.

Just ensure that incoming mail (pop3) is set to mail.plus.net and outbound mail (smtp) is set as per the instructions provided by the Uni for your sons connection.

Hope that helps.
N/A

Webmail with Outlook?

is it possible to use Outlook with plusnet mail in web (imap) mode?
N/A

Webmail with Outlook?

Ohh yes it is, which can be handy for sending receiving mail without having to change SMTP servers.

Just add an IMAP account in outlook, and set both inbound and outbound servers to imap.plus.net
xblade
Grafter

Webmail with Outlook?

hi

Is there information on how to set up a webmail box with plusnet.
This would be on a computer on a network ie so a seperate person would be able to receive emails without downloading all emails coming into main account

Using XP pro o a four port router in an office network
thanks
simon
Merlin
Grafter

Webmail with Outlook?

You don't have to set up any special email account for webmail, all Plus email accounts are accessible using any internet connected computer with a browser. All you need is the email address and password. The computer used for access can have windows, Linux, Unix/MAC Os etc as the operating system.

If you need to know how to set up a new email address go to the relevenat part uf the Plus site and follow the instructions
N/A

Webmail with Outlook?

Hi Simon.

Advice on setting up mailboxes can be found here

Basically you can create a mail box for each member of your team and that will mean that each person only gets mail intended or relevant for them.

The mail can be collected by mail client, such as outlook or via webmail, whichever is more convenient for you.

Hope that helps.
xblade
Grafter

Webmail with Outlook?

Hi astondb9 and pcsni

Thanks for your help. I will take a look at this

Regards
Simon
xblade
Grafter

Webmail with Outlook?

Hi

I wonder if I can ask a question concerning webmail and access to individual accounts?

I believe you have to login to the main user account before then accessing individual webmail accounts

If this is the only way? If so, this then means everyone having access to information on the main user account

Is this correct or is there another way that individuals can access their own webmail account on the main user account?

Hope that does not sound confusing - sorry

Regards
Simon
N/A

Webmail with Outlook?

You don't have to acces the base account first just click the webmail at the top of the page or save off the webmail address and access it direct the login is in the form of base account +son. ie you would login as in my account

dkirk+son ( if son is the prefix to your sons account (son@dkirk.plus.net)

You will have to be careful because you can't send from the pop3 / imap servers unless you are connected via your specified (cli) adsl line. You can receive just not send. You can use webmail from anywhere though.

Hope this helps as my son was in the same boat as you when he went off to uni in January.
Merlin
Grafter

Webmail with Outlook?

If you are logged into webmail you can send and receive from there. You can also upload a contacts list to the webmail address book to save putting them in manually
pcorker
Grafter

Webmail with Outlook?

Still not clear about using Outlook to send email via my Plusnet account when using another ISP. Can some kind person(s!) tell me if these confused thoughts are anyway near correct.... :
1. My son's connection is with a "reseller" who provides a connection via their network and uses several ISPs. They don't provide an email server. He does not have access to a landline. So, am I correct that he shouldn't be able to send using a POP3 account in Outlook. (He can receive fine)
2. If he sets up an IMAP account in Outlook he should use imap.plus.net as the outgoing SMTP sever (suggested by gotdsl above) although Plusnet help says use relay.plus.net. But this will not work in any way as he is not connecting through my "official" phone line and so can't send via POP3 or IMAP. (suggested by dkirk above)
3. So, to use Outlook he has to use an http (not IMAP or POP3) account for which he needs a Plusnet mail server URL - but I don't think this is possible.
4. The point of using Outlook is to have the automatic Sent Messages folder, Junk Mail folder, use several accounts and all the other stuff that he is used to.
5. It's beginning to look as if this use of Outlook is not possible.
6. Solutions seem to be:

a. Forget Outlook and use Plusnet IMAP via the Plusnet web page (but it will not read his yahoo and o2 accounts like POP3+Outlook does and the pre-Atmail Plusnet system used to do)

b. Get a hotmail or MSN account which integrates (how well) with Outlook in an http account but... 1.) Will it allow sending (surely must!) 2.) Will it allow reading other accounts eg. Plusnet, o2, Yahoo? 3.) Will it allow the Outlook junk Mail folder to work 3.) Which... hotmail or MSN? Anyone recommend?

c. Convert his Yahoo account to his main account, allowing him to read all accounts in one place by webpage mail and drop Outlook. Seems pretty good though I have not used it much (latest version does not work with Opera.) Any thoughts, known snags etc? Spam filter easy to check for mistakes?

Looks like Hotmail/MSN using Outlook could be best but I have no experience of it.
Merlin
Grafter

Webmail with Outlook?

You really are widening this out from the original query. It is possible to READ mail from a pop server using Outlook or any other email clent eg Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird as long as the computer you are using is connected to the internet. It does not matter which ISP you get in by. You can also use Outlook to access Hotmail ( see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287424/ ) and also Outlook Express as I recall. Not sure about Yahoo Mail.

What you cannot do is send mail via an smtp server unless you are logged in to the ISP who it belongs to. So to use Plus's smtp server ie relay.plus.net you must be logged into Plus net either via ADSL or dial up, similarly to use smtp.tiscali.co.uk you would have to be logged into them etc etc. This is to prevent spammers using the smtp server for there nefarious purposes.

If the ISP you are logged into does not provide an smtp server then the only way to send mail is via webmail access. It is possible of course to set up your own smtp server, especially if you have a computer using Linux as the OS.

To simplify matters for these accounts you could set up mail forwarding so that one account collects mail from the others.
N/A

Webmail with Outlook?

GMail is an excellent option too;
(Ok, for the purists, it is now called Googlemail in this country after a few copyright/trademark issues)

It will integrate with as many different mail providors as you like, and includes plenty of storage space.

If you use Google as your homepage, you can personalise it so that your email is displayed on your homepage, which can of course be accessed from any machine with web access.

GMail also happens to be one of the best I've seen at integrating with mobile devices, automatically detecting the screen size and adjusting its interface automatically.

I have a number of invites left for GMail if you would like to give it a try, and of course you will then also have invites to allow you to invite anybody you desire.

PM me if you would like an invite.
pcorker
Grafter

Webmail with Outlook?

Thanks, astondb9.
As he can't use an smtp server, am I correct in thinking the only way to use Outlook to send mail is to have it synchronised with a paid for hotmail account?
If so, it's probably worth the £15 just for that convenience. (Unless someone knows better...)
Sallyandjames - presumably gmail does not synchronise with Outlook? Thanks for the invites offer!