cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Connection

N/A

Weak Connection

I signed up with Metronet just over a month ago; it’s probably the worst decision I’ve ever made.

When I was informed that my connection was activated, I bought, from PC World, a 5510B Zoom Modem.

The Zoom Web site gives the following spiel “the 5510B Modem delivers through a USB connection an always on Broadband service”.

Metronet says Modems that get their power from a USB connection, rely upon the Computer for their power and therefore the connection will go down whenever the computer is turned off. It took 16 days to get this answer.

The point is this; although I get a satisfactory service when ever I go onto the Internet, this can only be achieved, by using the Zoom Dial-up. Trying to open up Internet Explorer, or Outlook Express without first dialing-up through Zoom ADSL results in a frozen page.

My Internet Connections show only Zoom ADSL under dial up, and a crossed out LAN under Local. Surely there should be something in Broadband, where is Metronet?

Peter J
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Weak Connection

Hi Peter,

The point is this; although I get a satisfactory service when ever I go onto the Internet, this can only be achieved, by using the Zoom Dial-up. Trying to open up Internet Explorer, or Outlook Express without first dialing-up through Zoom ADSL results in a frozen page.

Can you be a little more descriptive here please.
I think you are saying that you have a working connection but IE & outlook will only work on dial up - have you changed your internet connection settings to suit? Me thinks this is where the problem might lie. In IE try changing the connection settings to "Never dial a connection". You will also need to check that TCP/IP setting have been set up for your modem.

If you have not yet tried the Help pages - I'm sure that you will find some information via A-Z Help.

Come back here when you've followed some of the advice and tell us what results you get and I'm sure that other forum users will will chip in with some further help.

Firefox is much easier to configure - give it and Thunderbird a try and see if they work.
N/A

Weak Connection

Thank you for your reply Bill, I thought I had described my problem
well; but it's not what you say Peter, it's what they hear. So here's another attempt:

I have studiously followed the instructions that came with the modem, which give the procedures for configuring Internet Explorer
but despite this. The only access I have is through Zoom ADSL dial-up. This connection allows me to open up Internet Explorer et al and once established provides a smooth (even rapid) loading of any site I wish to visit.

So I'm well served but uneasy about the fact that I am compelled to go through this clumsy routine, and little concerned that I might be paying BT for all this wonderful experience.

I'm sure you can read the frustration Bill and believe me it isn't directed at you.

Peter j

I'm Looking into your suggestions, I should say in passing that my question to Zoom resulted in No Comment, they didin't say it they just didn't bother to make it.
N/A

Weak Connection

Hi.
USB modems are treated like dialup modems. Once you turn off the PC you lose the connection then have to "re-dial" when you boot up again. There should be somwhere in the config of the modem that allows it to automatically " dialup" as soon as the PC is booted ( I think)
If you are not happy with this way of working get a modem/router which will always be on.
Cheers
Jon
Community Veteran

Weak Connection

Hi Peter,

The only access I have is through Zoom ADSL dial-up.

It's that dial-up bit that's confusing - I've never had a ASDL modem set up that talks about "dial-up" - I would have thought "connection" a better term.

Any way - as Jon has said there should be a way to set up your modem to automatically connect (any one with a zoom modem like to jump in here?).

So I'm well served but uneasy about the fact that I am compelled to go through this clumsy routine, and little concerned that I might be paying BT for all this wonderful experience.

This one is much simpler - if you set IE to never dail a connection and unplug your old dial-up modem from your telephone line and you still get an internet connections then your are *not* on BT dial up.

Then go to the BBC broadband link and launch the player and click the "test my connection speed" the speed of the connection and access to be BBC files will confirm your connection.

You can also go to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm and scroll down to near the bottom of the page to find your modem - click on the link and check your line stat's

I hope I'm sending you off on the right track this time Smiley

Cheers
Bill
N/A

Weak Connection

Hi both.
Sorry I'm not making myself very clear. With a USB modem it is seen by windows as a dialup modem so you still have to initiate a connection as in the old dialup days when you launch IE ( cough, splutter, choke) unles there is an option in the modem config to always come on line when the pc is booted. Best get a "proper" modem/router. Alot less hassle in the end.
Cheers
Jon
Community Veteran

Weak Connection

Hi Jon,

My old Binatone USB modem used to think it was a router then Cheesy

Cheers
Bill
N/A

Weak Connection

Thanks Jon and Bill, I think I'll accept the Status Quo, at least it should mean there are fewer times when I'm exposed to the Juveneniles who have destruction in their tiny minds.

Peter
N/A

Weak Connection

Bill.
Ahh right Cheesy
Peter.
A couple of things about routers..The public (kiddies) only see the WAN interface of the router and haven't a clue what is behind it and in default config can't do a thing on that interface or get past it and also they save a bit of cpu usage on your machine although in this day and age probably doesn't matter so much.
Cheers
Jon
N/A

Weak Connection

Hi Peter

Just to clear up the point about "dial up" that just happens to be the "method" chosen for UK ADSL to establish a logical connection into the ADSL network from the user end of the link.

Back to your issue - if you set the Zoom Dial Up connection to "default" in the connection list and in Internet Explorer TOOLS/Internet Options/Connection Tab you set it to "Always Dial my Default Connection" as soon as your PC has started and you click on IE it will bring up the connection screen. If you then tick the "connect automatically" box, the next time you do it, the whole process of connecting will be tranparent to you.

Hope this helps.
N/A

Weak Connection

Dear Armawood, Thank you for: a full, sensible, understandable explanation, it works exactly as you prescibed.

And thanks to all the others who helped I'm shutting this down now.

But just one more question why is it that the people who showed the greatest interest, had the least financial interest and those who benefitted most showed no interest? It's just a question ?

Peter J