cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning..........

kiasu
Grafter

Warning..........

........to those of you thinking of getting your own back on Plusnet by witholding monthly payments via your banks.

General procedure is a couple of threatening letters then the 'debt' gets passed to a credit colling agency. They then hassle you for the money plus interest AND their fee for collecting it.

However, the real 'We have got you over a barrel' bit is that if you don't pay, you get credit blacklisted AND possibly sued.

I don't know if this is Plusnets procedure but it was a procedure of Demon Internets. (It was their mess up and I managed to sort it out but it was only the threat of being credit blacklisted that give me the incentive for many letters & phonecalls.)

All I would say is just be careful. Even though you may feel you have a very good case, your contract states that they do not guarantee to provide a service (rightly or wrongly) and we have all clearly agreed to this by taking up the contract. Failure to notice this 'small print' does not get us 'off the hook'

However, with all the problems we have had recently, it would do Plusnet a world of good even if they just gave us a free months rental or something just as a good will gesture. Yes, this will cost them a lot of money; but they need to seriously consider whether this is money well spent bearing in mind the loss of recent credibility and loss of new customers as the word of the recent bad service spreads.

It could take a very long time for Plusnet to regain the confidence of their customers; if ever.
They need to seriously consider their next step with regards to possible good will payments.

Well, thats my penny worth.

Cheers

Mark

9 REPLIES
jlpappin
Grafter

RE: Warning..........

It is not secured on property. So yeah you get blacklisted and lots of letters but at the end of the day they will write the debt off seeing as it is only a measly £20.
N/A

> It is not secured on property. So yeah you get blacklisted and lots of letters but at the end of the day they will write the debt off seeing as it is only a measly £20.

You do not want a credit black list. Just try to get a mortgage then -> Game Over.
jlpappin
Grafter

Negative things stay on your credit file before they are removed because this is the law. In the instance of someone who will not be purchasing a house in the next 6 years, refusing to pay doesn't do any harm.
N/A

Even if you have signed a contract, if parts of the contract are deemed to be un-reasonable by the courts their not worth the paper there written on.

For instance paying for a product and not receiveing it!

--
N/A

You still have full access to their products via dialup of course! Therefore not a service problem, just a quality problem!
N/A

As quoted, you do have access.

As far as I understand, the only service they provide you with, is the connection. Web-space, email, usnet and other assorted items are extras and come as a added bonus.

Regardless of the fact that many of these problems may not have been called for, or where not needed (though most likely where), the replacment of the DSL temrination units, the router mem upgrades and any other equipment changes (hardware and software), will be seen by the courts as maintainace.

As such, the courts will uphold the Plus.Net contract, on the basis that they have informed the user that such tasks may be needed.

They do state they will give the user information regarding connectivity and service issues in advance. The courts will uphold this too, as simply making the comment in advance of the downtime, is advanced warning, and stating things are back to normal, but the situation will be monitored, is also an indication that there maybe downtime.

As such, you would need to lobby a large amount of Plus.Net subscribers to help such court efforts, as it would only take a handful of Plus.Net cutomers to say "I was able to access BLAH" during the time of your outage. This would constitute a service provided.
N/A

> You still have full access to their products via dialup of course! Therefore not a service problem, just a quality problem!

This is patently in error.

The dialup is a different product which I would have to buy. If the dialup were included in the adsl package then your statement would be nearer to the truth of the matter.

N/A

> The dialup is a different product which I would have to buy. If the dialup were included in the adsl package then your statement would be nearer to the truth of the matter.
>
>

Actualy speaking the Dialup is a product supplied with you ADSl package ie in the form of a back up service, incase ADSl fails...which mean..its more of a quality issue than noservice at all.

N/A

>
> > The dialup is a different product which I would have to buy. If the dialup were included in the adsl package then your statement would be nearer to the truth of the matter.
> >
> >
>
> Actualy speaking the Dialup is a product supplied with you ADSl package ie in the form of a back up service, incase ADSl fails...which mean..its more of a quality issue than noservice at all.
>
>

I buy the dialup on a usage basis.