cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Severe global virus attack!

dhumble
Grafter

Warning: Severe global virus attack!

Sorry for the cross-post but the severity warrants it.

Hello all,

There is no attachment in this e-mail so don't worry, this is not a virus attack itself! :-)

No, just a warning as I was bombarded by 13 unsolicited e-mail this morning and they tie in with a global news warning about a new, severe attack of e-mails trying to convince you that they contain a tantilizing screen saver.

It should go without saying that no one should open unsolicited attachments, especially with the .scr file extension, even from 'trusted' e-mail addresses.

OK, my experience this morning was uneventful. My ISP has good e-mail filtering and had removed all but one attachment, which my regularly updated anti-virus software protected me from during the e-mail download process.

All 13 e-mails contained the 'Win32.Yaha.E' worm, addressed from different e-mail addresses, different titles but all contained, not only english but, all Czech. One line was repeated in all, 'Agencija za informaticke i komunikacione usluge om'. I have entered this in to my e-mail filtering as an extra precaution.

In the time I have wrote this, another 4 have arrived! Do not open the attachments. In fact some software configurations *may* run the worm as soon as you open the e-mail so DON'T! Just delete it!

David Humble
dhumble@taurus2.plus.com
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Warning: Severe global virus attack!

> Sorry for the cross-post but the severity warrants it.
>
> Hello all,
>
> There is no attachment in this e-mail so don't worry, this is not a virus attack itself! :-)
>
> No, just a warning as I was bombarded by 13 unsolicited e-mail this morning and they tie in with a global news warning about a new, severe attack of e-mails trying to convince you that they contain a tantilizing screen saver.
>
> It should go without saying that no one should open unsolicited attachments, especially with the .scr file extension, even from 'trusted' e-mail addresses.
>
> OK, my experience this morning was uneventful. My ISP has good e-mail filtering and had removed all but one attachment, which my regularly updated anti-virus software protected me from during the e-mail download process.
>
> All 13 e-mails contained the 'Win32.Yaha.E' worm, addressed from different e-mail addresses, different titles but all contained, not only english but, all Czech. One line was repeated in all, 'Agencija za informaticke i komunikacione usluge om'. I have entered this in to my e-mail filtering as an extra precaution.
>
> In the time I have wrote this, another 4 have arrived! Do not open the attachments. In fact some software configurations *may* run the worm as soon as you open the e-mail so DON'T! Just delete it!
>
> David Humble
> dhumble@taurus2.plus.com
>

Ill keep an eye open , thanks.
--
IT TAKE'S TWO TO TANGO BUT ONLY ONE TO BE STUPID
N/A

This virus messed my computer up!

My computer started to send emails to everyone on my hotmail list and even people i dont know!

It was sending the same virus's that you mentioned.

At one point my windows xp wouldnt allow me to do anything. it wouldnt let me Execute any progams on my computer. so i had to reinstall windows again.

ZAK
N/A

Hi. Two inbound this morning. Both from same infected sender. First titled "Looking for Friendship" with attachment GC_Messenger.exe. Second titled "I am i Love" with attachment love.scr. Both sent from hotmail to hotmail.
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Yup, I had 2 today also with the attachment love.scr.

You should never open an attachment from a contact you don't know.

Dave.
N/A

> You should never open an attachment from a contact you don't know.

The point is that the attachments are from people you know. What we really should say ot be o the safe side is that you should never open an attachment which has not been checked by a good and up to date vius checker.
N/A

Since signing up for the PlusNet services "Security" @ only £2.95 a month extra via this portal.
All my SPAM email has been reduced a hell of alot, plus they scan your mail as part of the package for virues. PlusNet's security deal is well worth it. I recomend it. I was a person who used to get piles of rubbish mails from USA, and virues too.

I did however set up outlook express NOT to open ANY attachments atal now. So when the mails arrive the file you see at corner, will not open, unless i reduce my security settings if i want to read or open it. ****** GET PLUSNET SECURITY PACKAGE ****** trust me with this and your own virus scanner you ar much safer from script kiddies sending spam and virues thro the emails.

Happy New Year to all.

--
Jason
=====
Working Equipment:
Packard Bell I XTREME 9070
Colour Blue/Grey
Intel Pentium 4 - 2.4 GHz -
512 MB Ram
120 GB HDD
Modems: Aztech CNR V.92 56K
D-LINK DSL-200 DIGITAL
DVD, CDRW
Chipset: SiS650
Stereo sound
GeForce 4MX 440 64 MB + TV out
USB: 2 front and 2 back
Firewire: 1 front
Lan: 1 back + (loads more sockets)
=====
N/A

I have been getting these kind of emails for a few months now, at least 100 a day to my domains email address. All of them containing .scr .exe .pif .bat files needless to say I just dont open any of these attachment and remove the emails, how ever what I have been doing is taking copies of the email headers, first email the users that send me these, advising them to clean up the system and telling them howto. Then if they send me repeats I contact the users ISP and get them to get onto the user.

This may sound harsh but if a user cant/wont maintain there pc then they are breaching their isps TOS and AUP. Im glad to say that this is not normally something that I have to do but so far 17 users that have sent me such emails have reapeted many times and I have had their isp's disconnect them untill they clean their systems.