cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting 2Mb

N/A

Wanting 2Mb

I ordered a migrate last week from Zen to here to take advantage of their speed offers. I think I am getting 1mb off the bat but my router stats are worrying

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 33.8 30.0 dB
Line Attenuation 53.9 31.0 dB
Errored Seconds 112 1
Loss of Signal 1 1
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 43 0
Data Rate 576 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

I have a very high SNR ratio, but my line attenuation is 53.9
I wanted to get 2mb, but i guess with this I might not be able to. Anyone from plusnet know any tips? Is there anything i can do reporting line faults or somethign to bt to get em to sort it out?
I've tried plugging router into master socket n still getting same atten

I only live staight line about 1.2km from exchange so not sure what I can do. Do plusnet usually sort these things out for their customers. Desperately wanting to take adv of 2mb if possible.

JP
7 REPLIES
N/A

Wanting 2Mb

The line stats show a very capable 1Mb line, but no 2Mb.

You can however plug your modem into the inner socket of your master socket.

Remove the front face, being careful not to dislodge the wires mounted on the back (if there are any). Then use the small test socket on the inside.

If the line stats still show that 2Mb isn't possible, then you are simply too far away in line length.

A line fault constitues a problem with the line. Reporting a line fault when there is no fault, is both a waste of BT's and PlusNets time. Not just this, but it would also be wates effort on your own part.

Not just this, but you could also be charged £50 for the privilage of getting no better service.
keithcalder
Grafter

Wanting 2Mb

I will be corrected here if I'm wrong, but I'm afraid its not down to Plusnet but BT. The line going to your house may not be good enough, like many folks. But the real reason is that BT were prevented from optic rollout in the 80's by the conservative government at that time.

Had BT been left to install optic, then we might have been like HongKong is now with superfast connection speeds. However that was then and now we are left with crappy twisted copper pairs, most probably need replacing, but BT are only obliged to supply a line capable of supporting voice calls, not adsl.

Keith
N/A

Wanting 2Mb

Thanks for the replies
Oddly enough I decided to plug in a different router today, Alcatel USB speedtouch and used dr speedtouch on it. reported an Attenuation of only 48
Granted still not enough for 2mb
But if i had that plugged in when bt did whoosh test, would they also be getting similar results? If so, there any routers recommended for the lower atten? Smiley

JP
Alecto
Grafter

Wanting 2Mb

48 would probably be OK for 2Mb, even though the official limit is 43, if you could get them to try it. Recently though they seem to be turning down upgrades out of hand if the your atten is worse than the official figure.
daviez
Grafter

Wanting 2Mb

My attenuation ranges between 43-45dB, although a woosh test confirmed 45dB and SNR of 27dB.

BT rejected a regrade from our current 1Mb -> 2Mb. PlusNet rejected a manual regrade request, saying BT will reject as we are just outside the 2Mb limits.

From these forums, I know other PlusNet customers have been regraded to 2Mb with worse levels. Seems to be a change in policy somewhere...
Community Veteran

Wanting 2Mb

From these forums, I know other PlusNet customers have been regraded to 2Mb with worse levels. Seems to be a change in policy somewhere...

Yes, by BT as they were the ones that allowed it - I have seen some with a 54dB line attenuation with 2Mbs speeds. So if BT say no there is nothing PN can do.
N/A

Wanting 2Mb

I have gone to 2MB and had terrible problems - It would work into the master socket with all extension disconnected (NTE5), but died if I connected the extension wiring in - no phones connected!!!

After a lot of messing and pestering BT I found that changing the cheap e-bay filters for good quality alcatel ones solved everything .... Phones not ringing, echo on line and the internet now goes at a blinding 1900!

May be worth a look at getting all your house wiring in top condition and using good quality filters and re-doing the tests.

Sorry I can't give dB figures because my router doesn't support it