cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted: sympathetic technical wizard........

N/A

...to assist fristrated PlusNet customer with ongoing connection dropping issue.

Been happening for a couple of weeks and is a carry on of my 'Can someone interpret my log' thread.
I have changed the router, on the advised of PN techical person (I refuse to give names as they refuse to call me anything bu 'Dear Customer'! - no joy.
I also flashed the router (firmware as opposed to me with no clothes on!) - no joy.

I would like to share this small snippit of a log fiel with you all as I feel it may ease my anguish and maybe one day soon, a solution will be arrived at, eithr by myself or, if flying bacon becomes the norm, from the technical support at PN. Please excuse my apathy and sarcasm but this is becoming frustrating.

Alarms/Traps Information
Tue Mar 23 19:08:12 2004 : STATUS ALARM : PPP Interface Up : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 23 19:08:12 2004 : STATUS ALARM: PPP Authorization Successful : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 23 19:08:07 2004 : STATUS ALARM : ATM VC Up : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Tue Mar 23 19:08:07 2004 : STATUS ALARM : ATM Interface Up : Interface - atm-0
Tue Mar 23 19:08:07 2004 : STATUS ALARM : DSL Interface Up
Tue Mar 23 19:07:44 2004 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Tue Mar 23 19:07:44 2004 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 23 19:07:44 2004 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0
Tue Mar 23 19:07:44 2004 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Tue Mar 23 14:28:51 2004 : STATUS ALARM : PPP Interface Up : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 23 14:28:50 2004 : STATUS ALARM: PPP Authorization Successful : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 23 14:28:46 2004 : STATUS ALARM : ATM VC Up : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Tue Mar 23 14:28:46 2004 : STATUS ALARM : ATM Interface Up : Interface - atm-0
Tue Mar 23 14:28:46 2004 : STATUS ALARM : DSL Interface Up
Tue Mar 23 14:27:35 2004 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Tue Mar 23 14:27:35 2004 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 23 14:27:35 2004 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0
Tue Mar 23 14:27:35 2004 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
Tue Mar 23 14:27:21 2004 : STATUS ALARM : PPP Interface Up : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 23 14:27:21 2004 : STATUS ALARM: PPP Authorization Successful : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 23 14:27:17 2004 : STATUS ALARM : ATM VC Up : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Tue Mar 23 14:27:17 2004 : STATUS ALARM : ATM Interface Up : Interface - atm-0
Tue Mar 23 14:27:17 2004 : STATUS ALARM : DSL Interface Up
Tue Mar 23 14:26:08 2004 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
Tue Mar 23 14:26:08 2004 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0
Tue Mar 23 14:26:08 2004 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface - atm-0
Tue Mar 23 14:26:08 2004 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down

I'm really just sounding off as I want people to know Smiley If anyone has a suggestion other than (a) try another router, (b) flash your hardware or (c) move everything to the master socket then I would be very grateful.

Cheers
14 REPLIES
N/A

Basicly the router brings up the interface PPP
logs on ok
sets up vpi=0 vci=38 (thats ok)
Brings up the atm interface ok
brings up the dsl interface ok
30 second latter it dies

Well you knew that anyway.
What is the router and is there any more info which would give us an idea of why it dies?
Have you tried it with no other phone or modem plugged in?
Idealy you could do with trying a adsl modem on the same line just to prove if its the line or not. It looks like a noisy line but there isnt enought info to tell. Thats were a modem would prove the point.
Community Veteran

Why did you not post to your exiting thread on this subject here. It will just get confusing with 2 threads open?

The logs don't actually tell you the reason for the disconnection other than DSL connection drops (whatevere that actually means) but that could still be a BT or your router or the quality of your line. PlusNet already replied in your other thread saying they could see no disconnect issues, only reconnect issues.

All I can suggest if it is that bad is to check all things related to your side of the connection.

First read through the troubleshooting info on the customer support page here. A link to it was given in your other thread but you gave no indication that you tried the suggestions in it.

Then read through ADSL: Trouble Shooting.

And finally check you have all your phones and ADSL equipment properly connected and you are using the ADSL filter/splitter in the correct places by reading ADSL: Wiring and Filters. All phones, faxes, sky boxes, 56k modems should all be connected via an ADSL filter/splitter. Also make sure you use a filter/splitter when you connect your ADSL modem.

Try disconnecting all other phones / equipment plugged into your phone sockets so only the ADSL modem is connected and see if the problem occurs?

How many phones/56k modems/sky boxes do you have in your house. Add upo the REN numbers on each device and if they add up to more than 4 then you have too many phones connected and muct reduce them so the REN number is 4 or less.

Have you tried connecting directly to the BT master socket if you are currently using an extension cable/socket? If you are using an extension cable try another one.

Remove any other equipment that may be plugged in to the same power sockets as your PC and ADSL modem, this includes radios, stereos, lights etc.

If none of that helps, ask PlusNet to check your line and do a whoosh test to see if the line loss is outside acceptable limits. If this is within acceptable limits ask PlusNet to get BT to check or report a fault on your line.

Lots to try there...

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Thanks for the replies so quickly Smiley

I realise that this is the same post, but the other one had no more replies Smiley Sorry.

I willadmit that at firs it apepared to be a signing in error on reconnection. That was my fault, and the username is now correct - this explains the reconnection.

One PN engineer said the phone line could be dodgy and he was going to initialise a BT engineer. His colleague/superior then reversed that decision and suggested I try another router.

Tried another router (Solwise SAR110) and problem still happened.
Tried firmware update as recommend, but ironically not supoprted, by PN. Still the same problem.

The cabling in the house has not changed. I have recently wired another TV set to my Sky box but this problem was happening before. And the cables aren't close together anyway (in terms of interference etc).

I can't simply remove all equpment plugged into the same electricity socket as I would be unable to test the router and I'm really not keen on moving my comms cabinet from the loft to the ground floor. Nothing I know has changed.........it just started happening. I can fully apprecite that things need to be removed from the equation but the responses I'm getting from the kind people in this forum appear to be more use thatn the ones benig provided by PN who get paid for the privelage - weird.

The next logical step for me, as I can't afford to disconnect phones permanently, is recable using cat5e cable and then see if the problem reoccurs. BT said there is no problem when they tested the line although I understand thaty only HAVE to test to voice standards, which is far from broadband. PN don't see a problem at their end so it has to be the cablingHuh? I'm more frustrated at PN's apathy but reassured that some people do care. Cheers for that.

Dont think the REN is above four - no more devices added recently.

It's weird all three parties involed deem their setup, service to be fine......guess we're all right then - haa haa

Will try removing the cats from the house to see if that cures it and let you know.

Thanks again
P
bobgidden
Grafter

Stranger things _have_ been known - cats on keyboards, etc (computer bits are warm!) Smiley

Seriously, your suggestion of Cat5 is a sensible way round if it is your internal wiring - have just the router near the master socket, and wire router to PC with Cat5 Ethernet - you can go up to 100m with this. Just to test, you could dangle the Cat5 down the stairwell - it would give the cats fun, anyway.

Regards,

BobG
N/A

Bob,
Well, PN have nothing more to offer than try another router and flash the one we;re using. Frankly I think it's pants and if the standard 'Dear Customer' crap continues I may consider migrating to warmer climates.

Clearly I, as a paying customer, have to prove a problem. I think it's PN but I'm prepared to accept the wiring could be a problem, although nothing has changed. If the BT line signal strength has dropped below a certain level then that could also be a problem.

I'll try lots of things, but cat5e is the best way out of this mess I reckon as my ISP appears to have washed it's hands.

Cheers
P

P.S. cat5e can run up to 90m, although this length is that of the twisted cable, so the cable itself is probvably 85 Smiley Sorry, it's the job, gets into my head sometimes. The only reason I think cat5e might help is that it degrades a signal less and I want to put phones on it as well Smiley
N/A

Just a thought, which may be of absolutely no use.

I don't know what sort of router you've got, but mine has got a load of diagnostic LEDs on the front. From these, it's quite possible to tell if the ADSL is in sync and if data is being received. This is the case even if I have nothing at all connected to the internal ethernet ports. The Rx LED does a little flash every 20 seconds or so even when all connected PCs are off.

If yours has a similar compliment of LEDs, you could then move JUST the router down to your BT master socket and plug it in (unfiltered). Then just leave it and see if the LEDs show sync. Even if there aren't enough LEDs to give you the info, maybe the connection logs are in Non-Volatile RAM so that, when you reconnect the router back to your PC, you could see if the connection had held up for longer than 30 seconds.

Really does smack of authentication problems though. I do seem to recall another case once where authentication hadn't propogated fully through PlusNet's network. It took someone in support to reinitialize something to force the propogation to be reinitiated. Anyone else remember this?

HTH
pcorker
Grafter

I have an adsl USB modem on a 30ft cheap extension, 2 phones,an answer machine, sky and a dialup modem connected by a plethora of cheap splitters to the master socket. To my surprise it all works well!
When the adsl was connected, the phone volume increased significantly so I guess that the "gain at the exchange?" is set high.
I have never found that changing my wiring had any effect.
Pat.
N/A

I agree with you all and thanks.
The lights are always on the router doesn't appear to drop the ADSL. Having said that, the router and cab are in the loft so I cannot look at it all the time. I only have two phones, noe sky box and one router plugged into the phone system....as I have done for months.

I reckon the gain is low in my house anyway as ever since we've had ADSL the phone volume, on my crap old phone is low. Could be that.

Also PN haven't answered my next entry for my ticket, for about 24 hours. Another problem with their customer service - and i hope someone with authority is reading this as I'm really hacked off. Reallu f-ing hacked off with the lack of technical suggestions as these kind people in the ofurm ahve offered. Hacked off with the sheer time taken to answer my queries, and the complete ignaorance of my comments placed in my now mile-long ticket.

So, to the guys in here, I thank you and will let you know how it goes once I've recabled the house and to PN superiors I says this 'please train your stafff'

Cheers
P
N/A

Yay, I have an update.
Apparently my woosh test (faster than a speeding bulletHuh Smiley ) didn't give any negative feedback so BT are being informed.....wonder what they will say as they apparently have already tested the line.
vic_newey
Grafter

just thought i'd mention a problem we had with intermittent line dropping, ours turned out to be external, everytime it was windy or a bird touched the line to our property the ADSL link light flickered & the connection kept dropping & BT's while U wait linetest found nothing wrong but I insisted there was a fault.

The engineer was only up the pole 10 seconds when he found the connectors crumbled in his hand, a new line cured all.
N/A

Vic,
A distinct possibility given that there are some external wires outside our house that perhaps should be underground or maybe attached.
Will wait for BT to make contact and ensure they try everything Smiley
Cheers
vic_newey
Grafter

We were told that if the fault was not external we would be charged £60 by BT but I was so sure it was not internal I told them to go ahead, so beware you may be charged if they cannot find a fault !
N/A

Hi There happy cat just my 2 pence worth for what its worth, i had exactly the same problems as you have had including some not so helpfull customer support but thats another story. I ended up getting bt to come out and physicaly check the line from the exchange to the pole and from the pole to the house and then from the house to inside. in the end the engineer found the cable from the pole to the house and the cable going into the house needed to be replaced. so i didnt end up being charged.But i was prepared to pay it any way just to get the connection working again and not lose any more hair LOL

I have the adsl stuff and network up in the loft as well so i know its not much fun trying to fault find, BTW i did the same as you but i am fortunate that i have 6 different routers to play with /test :-)
I Teach CISCO networks for a living so know a litle bit about networks LOL
sorry for the long post and hope my comments may be helpfull
regards john :lol:
N/A

I put this on your other thread, not realising that u had started this one Smiley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know if this is relevant, but a lot of ppl have been reporting loss of connection on the SAR110 recently.

I've had the problem myself, so looked on the Solwise forum and found that one possible solution is to stealth the router. I tried this and so far (touch wood) the router has stayed up

Of course, now I've written this, it will probably die again, but who knows?

Followed by this :

Praps I should have posted the URL for instructions on stealthing the router :

http://www.chrismarsh.co.uk/sar110/stealth.asp

Still working - uptime = 72.5 hrs now - longer than it has been for ages

It appears that there are some nasty ppl out there attacking routers, bringing them down.

No idea if this applie to u, but u never know Cheesy