cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting to connect with USB

N/A

After reading several topics about problems connecting with Binatone USB modem, I am now worried that I will have problems when my Starter pack arrives.
I have just signed up with PlusNet and am waiting for BT to activate my line. My Pc is only 3 months old, up to date and has Windows XP with Service pack 1 installed. However, I now wish I had spent more and gone for Ethernet router instead as USB modem sounds very unreliable. Do most people have problesm with this set up? It sounds like it reading these forums!

Re-assurance please!!
8 REPLIES
N/A

First off, you have to remember that most forums are places where people can locate information about there problems.

As such, for the most part, you will only see dripes or problems here, and not praise, though it is given from time to time.

Although Ian Wild could likely give you a figure to go with this, out of the hundreds shipped each week, we only get about 1 problem posted, max, a week.

Although nothing concrete from myself, that fact alone should count for somthing.
Community Veteran

There is no absolute garantee that it will work but the age of your system is in your favour. There have been reported compatibility problems with older systems and motherboards which the various manufacturers have done their best to resolve in later makes/models. The difficulty is there are so many combinations of motherboard, chipset and USB devices that some combinations don't work for some people and do for others.

As stated above, you tend to only see the problems here because that is what this forum is for. In many cases the USB modem supplied will work without problems out of the box.

Don't be put off by what you read here, just wait and see and if you do have problems just post back and we will do our best to help you get online.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Thanks for those words of encouragement. I shall just have to be patient and hope I am one of the lucky ones in not having any problems. You have re-assured me so thanks for replying.
Ianwild
Grafter

Accordign to Binatone, the new version of the USB 500 modem we are now shipping, no longer requires SP1 to be installed.

Let us know how you get on...

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Binatone USB 500 modem & SP1

I' ve had a Binatone modem installed for nearly 3 months on a 3 year old system that run XP Pro and as an IT professional I' m extremely pleased with it.

It connects first time, every single time without fail so much that I wold never go back to my old analog modem again.

I had some teething problems right at the beginning because of my Abit motherboard and the USB ports that never worked. The problem was resolved very quickly by the installation of a Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card.

I would reccomend that SP1 is installed together with the zillions of the MS security patches, for peace of mind and improved reliability.
N/A

Thanks for that and all the other input.
Smiley

I am just waitng for the modem to arrive now and am ever hopeful that it will all be wonderful.
N/A

I am now up and running with adsl. No problems with the modem at all- everything worked as it should. So thank you PlusNet - I am now enjoying Internet access as it should be! What's more, we can use the phone at the same time.

Cheers
Cheesy
N/A

Good to know you are up and running.
In reality, very few people have trouble with USB modems. If people do, you see them asking for help on here. It's rather like the news, you only hear the bad things.