Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WORD OF WARNING TO AMD OWNERS RUNNING XP

N/A

WORD OF WARNING TO AMD OWNERS RUNNING XP

USB ADSL MODEM (CONEXANT/DYNAMODE)
WINDOWS XP
ATHLON A600

I have been having problems with dropped connections for the past month or so but as I jouned plusnet during the Redback fisaco and my tickets were not actioned correctly by support as my symptoms were similar to those being felt by others at the time. Luckily thanks to Rob Kelly in support a replacement modem was arranged. Unfortunately this was more stable but not capable of downloading a sizable file without the conneciton dying. Strangegly I would get anything from 3MB to 56MB through a download when it would hang.

I felt sure it was a line problem as 56mb was a large amount of data and I felt sure I could not be a PC issue.

Luckily I came across this site http://www.usbman.com/winxpusbguide.htm

It stated that:

AMD 756 Based Motherboards
• WinXP Professional does not recognize or properly enable USB on motherboards based on the AMD 756 Chipset. Installation of the latest Bus Master Drivers from AMD have helped some users. Unfortunately, most users needed to install a PCI/USB card as a work around.

After further searching I decided to buy a BELKIN USB 2 PCI Card, I installed it ever since then have managed to download the XP SP1 four times throughout the day without a single failure.

I have suggested that Plusnet should inform customers with AMD Irongate (756) chipsets that they may have problems with USB Modems. It is also worth noting that DELL and HP have also reported problems with USB compatibility and that the only sure fire way of solving these is to buy a separate expansion card from either Belkin or Lucent.

To find out if you may be affected open device manager and expand the usb section, if you have an entry that reads AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller you may well need to buy an additional USB expansion card (around £25.00 for a USB 2 model from PC World).

Richard
11 REPLIES
jlpappin
Grafter

RE: WORD OF WARNING TO AMD OWNERS RUNNING XP

I use XP with my Alcatel Speedtouch USB external modem and have done for over a year. I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever with the exception of the times PlusNet messed all the connections up.
N/A

> I use XP with my Alcatel Speedtouch USB external modem and have done for over a year. I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever with the exception of the times PlusNet messed all the connections up.

He said 'some' users. and only those using the AMD chipset. Stop trying to take every opportunity to complain about PlusNet, christ don't you have better things to do?
As for Nippy, thanks man, nice bit of info, and FANTASTIC for putting it on the forums for everyone to see, why can't all customers be like you?
colorado
Dabbler

> > I use XP with my Alcatel Speedtouch USB external modem and have done for over a year. I haven't experienced any problems whatsoever with the exception of the times PlusNet messed all the connections up.
>
> He said 'some' users. and only those using the AMD chipset. Stop trying to take every opportunity to complain about PlusNet, christ don't you have better things to do?
> As for Nippy, thanks man, nice bit of info, and FANTASTIC for putting it on the forums for everyone to see, why can't all customers be like you?
>

Further to the above comments, you may find that the problem only exists for some people because the worst culprit for USB problems is the AMD processor and the VIA chipsets (prior to the KT266). This is quite well known, or at least it is when you have a problem and start doing some research. The advise to get a PCI USB card is good, although some have still reported problems with this setup. I have suffered with this issue for months and only cured it by changing the mobo. I can say from experience that the latest KT333 VIA chipset is fine, running an Athlon XP1800.

I have to agree with Daniel, some are to eager to blame PlusNet for there problems, I have been one of them. Computers are complex items and there components differ widely, so is it possible the reason one person has lots of connection problems whilst another doesnt could be down to a poorly set up system. Check what you have in the box, are all your drivers up to date? Are there other problems with your system other than connection issues? At least by checking ALL possibilities the real problem will be isolated.

N/A

-snip-
> Further to the above comments, you may find that the problem only exists for some people because the worst culprit for USB problems is the AMD processor and the VIA chipsets
-snip-

I've been running various hardware configurations over both IP stream and Videostream ADSL services for obver two years now and none of my AMD kit has shown any signs of failure.
The AMD problems are at times problematic but can be a red herring also.

Be careful before anyone makes sweeping statements about AMD and via chipsets. They are fine if set-up corrrectly and maintained properly.

Gary

"The Internet is a global collection of single points of failure"
N/A

Just to confirm:

This problems is with AMD chipsets with AMD processors.

It is also important to note that only BELKIN or LUCENT products have been proven to work.

Im not saying that AMD are crap, I have had my athlon for nearly 3 years and it still performs extremely well.

I have first hand experience of problems adding usb devices to Dell Optiplexes and HP Vetreas, until recently I would not have concidered adding a USB card but as it probably cost my company more money in wasted time I would chance installing one at the first sign of problems.

Plusnet have had a rough time recently but you only have to look at the minimal number of posts recently to realise that there are many happy customers out there.
N/A

As i posted while back, I have the dynamode usb modem, and have been having many problems whilst running XP professional , which I thought were down to plusnets network upgrades etc.

However these very eratic transfer speeds continue, so I reinstalled 98se as well ( dual boot)

XP remains very unreliable, though the 98se system has proved extremely consistent.

these are both on an athlon xp1700, but i do have a via kt266a chipset.
I had put these problems down to the conexant XP driver, but I dont really know what it is.

I do notice that Plusnet now supply a different USB modem though, so Huh??

Simon... :confused:

I think I will try a friends pci modem and see if that works better with xp pro, I dont see why I should have to use such an old operating system to get consistency from a plusnet supplied usb modem...

N/A

Your advice was most welcome as my machine fits this criteria, and I have experienced these problems, cured only by purchasing from Maplins a PCI eTec modem which works very well. I have also visited the website you mentioned which I found very useful. I would like to thank you for the detailed input that you provided.
Many thanks
Miky

> USB ADSL MODEM (CONEXANT/DYNAMODE)
> WINDOWS XP
> ATHLON A600
>
> I have been having problems with dropped connections for the past month or so but as I jouned plusnet during the Redback fisaco and my tickets were not actioned correctly by support as my symptoms were similar to those being felt by others at the time. Luckily thanks to Rob Kelly in support a replacement modem was arranged. Unfortunately this was more stable but not capable of downloading a sizable file without the conneciton dying. Strangegly I would get anything from 3MB to 56MB through a download when it would hang.
>
> I felt sure it was a line problem as 56mb was a large amount of data and I felt sure I could not be a PC issue.
>
> Luckily I came across this site http://www.usbman.com/winxpusbguide.htm
>
> It stated that:
>
> AMD 756 Based Motherboards
> • WinXP Professional does not recognize or properly enable USB on motherboards based on the AMD 756 Chipset. Installation of the latest Bus Master Drivers from AMD have helped some users. Unfortunately, most users needed to install a PCI/USB card as a work around.
>
> After further searching I decided to buy a BELKIN USB 2 PCI Card, I installed it ever since then have managed to download the XP SP1 four times throughout the day without a single failure.
>
> I have suggested that Plusnet should inform customers with AMD Irongate (756) chipsets that they may have problems with USB Modems. It is also worth noting that DELL and HP have also reported problems with USB compatibility and that the only sure fire way of solving these is to buy a separate expansion card from either Belkin or Lucent.
>
> To find out if you may be affected open device manager and expand the usb section, if you have an entry that reads AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller you may well need to buy an additional USB expansion card (around £25.00 for a USB 2 model from PC World).
>
> Richard

N/A

Just to confirm youre findings. Yes the 756 USB is a total crock I had no end of hassle not just with my Zoom modem but with Keyboards and scanners under windows xp pro.

Belkin USB 2.0 port card sorted it

Very low power devices seem ok but anything else fails

Jim

N/A

Thanks to all that have posted a reply

Richard
N/A

Whats this? A useful and informative post on the discussion board? Well I never, and not an e-whiner in sight (hmm..apart from the first reply. Ah well, canne have everything)

N/A

Thanks for the advice Nippy, I too have this annoying AMD 756 to PCI USB bridge thing, and I have an AMD Athlon 600 MHZ.

After a week of despair, I read these threads carefully, and came to the conclusion that I need to purchase an internal USB2.0 expansion card. Simply went to www.dabs.com and ordered a 4 port USB2.0 card for £20 inc P&P. Its an ASUSTEK model.

And hey presto it worked! With USB2.0 you get the increase data transfer rate of 480 Mbts! So don't blame Plusnet, blame the AMD 756 USB thing! That works only for low powered USB devices!

Thx again Nipppy.
--