cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAG54GS Connection problem.

essenby
Grafter

I've just tried to set up my new WAG54GS with the following parameters, PPPoA, VPI=0, VCI=38, VC Multiplexed. but it will not connect and fails with the message "Firmware upgrade failed" . I considered a manual firmware upgrade but the Linksys site only lists WAG54GS v1 and v2 - no WAG54GS.

I can connect to the router directly using the IP address and the phone connection to the router works with my ADSL modem

Has anyone any clues as to WHY my it won't - or doesn't. connect?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Well, here is the LINKY to the downloads section for the WAG54GS - (you have to be in the UK section of the site to find it).

BUT, the only firmware available for download is stated as "Firmware Date: 7/10/2005 Firmware Release Version: 1.00.06 (Annex A)".

... and my WAG54GS has a firmware version of 1.00.08 - it was installed 3 weeks ago using the standard installation CD, and worked out of the box with no problems (other than those supplied by its new owner :lol: )

So I would be very careful, and probably try re-installing from the CD before trying anything else.

It's a good product.

Once you get it working , you will probably want to know how to get stats out of it, and there is a thread I have contributed to somewhere on tihs forum and also one of ADSLGuide on that.

Ray
essenby
Grafter

Mine is using v1.00.08 firmware as well. Still no connection though.
holdtight
Grafter

The message firmware upgrade failed and the fact it wont connect i would find very worrying

Have you or anyone else tried to upgrade the firmware before or is it a brand new product your trying to install aslo have you tried doing a full reset and starting again ifso do you get the same error message ?

Its this firmware message that would bother me as it sounds like its been upgraded either at the factory or by someone else and has failed for some reason which has the unfortunate potential to render part or all of it useless

I could be way off here but thats what comes to mind and ive seen it happen before with failed firmware upgrades

Bill.
N/A

I can't see why it is needing to update the firmware. Mine didn't.

There is a system log at:
http://192.168.1.1/setup.cgi?next_file=Log.htm
That may give you a bit of a better picture of what is happening.

Ray
holdtight
Grafter

Indeed it should work straight out of the box theres no upgrading of anything to do before you can start using it

Let us know what it does after a factory reset and if your still getting the same message
essenby
Grafter

OK. After following the Linksys instructions for a hard reset, using the Reset button and the web interface "Factory Defaults" option, and seveal "power cycles" of the network (Switch everything off, switch the router on and wait to stabilise, switch the computer on and connect ha - ha) I am still unable to connect.

I have noticed that when the router is turned on, the DSL lamp does not settle down to a steady "ON" state. It comes ON for about 4 secs, then OFF for about 8 secs, then flashes ON/OF about 1 a second for 5 or so flashes then ON for 4 about 4 secs again as the cycle is repeated. Is this normal? (fence - if you're out there perhaps you could answer this one ?)

Also I am still able to connect via my Speedtouch so I know the connection is OK.

The line has just undergone a speed upgrade (MaxDSL ?) after which I notice a lot of people with trouters are having difficulties - i.e. no connection. Could this be linked? Could there be an issue between MaxDSL and VCI/VPI settings such that (some) routers no longer work? Anyone?

BJ
N/A

It's a long time since mine got last switched off, but yes there is an on-off-on sequence for the DSL light (just my recollection) - I'll switch off/on later today and check.

I do suggest that you look at what its log is saying - PM me with it and I will see if I can spot anything.

Ray
Craigiusmaximus
Grafter

Hi mate i had the same problem as you when i got this wireless router check the BT socket and open it up have a look inside and disconnect the bell wire it seems that this router is really sensitive and will not settle till this is removed i think its the orange wire marked T3 but if in doubt check the forum and do a search there is a thread on going about this that i have also posted in

Im using Firmware Version: V1.00.06

and never had a problem when i sorted the BT socket out

let me know how you get on....
essenby
Grafter

Thanks to all who offered help on this. Finally got round to replacing the router - bingo straight on. Should have done it first off!