cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAG54G firmwares

N/A

WAG54G firmwares

There are several firmware options available for the WAG54G unit, however actually finding the correct one for your version (there is a ver 1 and a ver 2 WAG54G!) on Linksys' FTP area is the tricky part.

A relation of mine had a very similar problem to you barkerfamily using the same router however he was on a different ISP (BT Yahoo I think). Being in 'the business of IT' I was called in to take a look, and couldn't see anything wrong... checked the firmware, did a factory reset.. double checked settings, MTU etc.. nothing helped. Strangely enough, there was one sure-fire way of making the router drop the connection... trying to connect to a Half Life 2: Counterstrike server. This would mess the router up so badly that it needed a reboot to recover.

Then.. about 1 month ago.. the connection problems stopped (including being able to 'kill' it with Counterstrike). Nothing has changed with the configuration or physical location of the box.

Personally I put the problem down to BT somehow, but I just thought I'd share my experience here.

P Tomlins

PS. The WAG54G does seem to have some harsh reviews on the web, though I do know other people who are running them without a hitch!
32 REPLIES
N/A

internet access keeps dropping

I have always had a stable connection to the net. I have 3 PCs, 2 of which are wireless and one that uses a network cable. The access point is a Wireless-G WAG-54G adsl gateway.

Recently (over the last 2 weeks or so) the connection has been dropping between 6 and 10 times a day.

All the PCs have XP home with SP2. The only recent changes that I have made are the introduction of a wireless mouse which I have now taken away as I was concerned about some kind of cross-frequency prob (I have no idea but it seemed sensible) and the fact that on one PC I did update to SP2.

However the PC that has just had SP2 on it may not even be switched on and the problems still occur. That said on this PC there is now a new option on the network properties which is Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 which is something that I can only guess SP2 put there?

On the Access Point the DSL (green) light is always lit and there is a second light next to it labelled 'Internet' which changes to Red when there I lose my connection.

What tends to happen is that the DSL light stays lit and I can continue listening to online radio whilst the Internet Light is flashing or indeed is off altogether. When it is like this I cannot surf the net as I only get page cannot be found. Checking on the Access Point application software it says it is connected and it does seem to be as I have the radio but no pages. I then have to disconnect and reconnect.

I think this means that the DSL connection is still live but the internet is not.

Totally confused as to what to try I would be really grateful for any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance.
N/A

Might be your DNS settings: have a read of this

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26019
N/A

thanks, but it seems to be a different problem to that.

I have re-sited my access point and disabled/reenabled the network setting and apart from 1 loss this morning it has been ok for about 2 hours. I am going to permanently resite the access point and hope it makes a difference.

tbh i am grasping at straws here.
N/A

Do you have a firewall on in your router and windows firewall? try switching off your windows firewall .. it worked for me. You can check that you are still protected at GRC.com

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as it serves no purpose.
kissack
Grafter

for the past week i have been experiencing regular (upto 2 per day - whilst on-line) 5 minute drop-outs in browsing, although the modem link remains ok
N/A

thanks yes I have a firewall on the router the windows firewalls are all switched off.

changed the pc to router network cable this morning so I will wait and see again.

One thing I noticed is that the pc switching on and off affects the router/access point. Apart from the lan connection on the router nothing else should happen but at times it takes the network and dsl line down when the pc is switched off or on. Maybe it is the cable? I will wait and see but it could be the network card in the pc which is part of the motherboard.
N/A

Am also using a WAG54G but not the wireless option, and I get regular dropouts as well of the DSL connection. As you say the internet light remains on but the dsl light flickers, turns off, then flickers again etc etc as it appears to be reestablishing a connection. It has become extremely annoying and don't know whether its the WAG54G, BT mucking about with the lines somewhere, Plusnet service or what. It is very frustrating and if anyone can shed any light on this topic it would be great. I'm sure there must be more of us out there with the same problems.

PS - not hijacking but adding to the debate.
N/A

hi howlehill,

how are you connecting to the access point - are you using a cable or wireless?

I found today that the pc with the cable connection seems to be affecting the box so I changed the network cable and it has been up all day - could be a coincidence or it could be the answer.
N/A

oops, just saw you are not using the wireless side. Have you tried the nw cable?
N/A

the other thing with the wag54g is that there are no driver or firmware upgrades available.

Also try deleting (disable) the nw connection in windows and reconnecting it that may help.
N/A

Hi, yep done all that. In my case I do suspect BT, am on the limits distance wise for broadband and despite them telling me everything is OK with my lines I still get crossed lines on the phone. But of course I can't possibly be right, I'm just the customer. Anyway will keep trying to resolve it.
N/A

have you asked BT to do a line test?
N/A

Losing Connectivity

The past two days since installing XP SP2 I have been experiencing loss in connectivity after 5 or 10 minutes whenever I log onto a website with my wireless broadband connection - I am using a LinksysWAG54g with a Linksys Wireless G USB Adapter on a Sony Viao Laptop.

I lose the wireless connection on my laptop (although the network connection itself isn't disabled within XP and the linksys adapter is still scanning and has the settings of my network set up within the Linksys WAG54g) although the Modem still appears connected to the internet and the ADSL light is up.

Any thoughts? Made sure Windows Firewall has been turned off to alay any potential conflicts.
N/A

mine has been up all day again today Smiley so I am still hoping that it was the nw cable but obviously this is not the case for you.

I did many other things so it could have been a combination. Re-siting the access point, deleting and reconnection the nw (via windows), making sure i had all the latest ms updates, (no update or firmware avail for the wag54g), check the settings on the access point but I guess if you have been working ok then these will be fine(?).

I dont know if it is a SP2 prob but it did start happening the same time as I installed sp2 on one of the pc's.

I dont think it was plusnet or the bt line the fault seems to be at my end.

Have you only got the wireless laptop on the nw or are there other stations?