cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W98SE startup & shutdown probs with A360 modem

thejudge
Grafter

Sorry if this has been covered before (I went back to January but couldn't find anything) :

Since I installed the A360, I've had repeated problems with startup and shutdown on my PC running W98SE. The problems don't seem to appear when I've disconnected the modem.

I've gone through MS' Knowledge Base and managed to replace Ccport.sys & Wdmmdmld.vxd with later versions (4.10.2224 as opposed to the original 4.10.2222), but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Some articles I've read also talk about a file called usbser.sys, but this doesn't seem to be on my system at all. If it should, I can retrieve it from the OS disk, but where does it go when I've got it?

Some of these articles talk about going into "My Computer" > "Properties" > "Device Manager" and checking the modem drivers. Thing is, the A360 doesn't appear in that list under "Modem" (probably 'cos it runs from the USB port) ; it appears under "Network Adapters".

I saw one article which suggested it was a problem between the settings in the BIOS for USB Legacy Support and Windows, and I'll see if I can do something with that if needs be, but I hope one of you knowledgable bods will save me from having to do anything like that :!:

Thanks in advance for your help.

"The Judge"
2 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

I know there has been a specific Windows 98 shutdown patch released for just this kind of problem - is this what you installed following the advice on the Microsoft knowledgebase?
thejudge
Grafter

Y'know, I could have sworn that I'd already installed that! Sad

Seems to be OK now that I have :lol:

Thanks Rich. Just put this down to another case of "Error Code 20 - Please Upgrade User"! Shockedops: