cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voyger205 modem

Teds31
Grafter

Voyger205 modem

Hi I have a voyger 205 modem and I have been broadband for a year or two,my question is my modem is connected via the USB socket,would I be better useing the eathernet connection as my speed varies considerably.If I changed over would it involve a lot of changes to setting.Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Voyger205 modem

Yes, it is always recommended to use the Ethernet connection rather than USB. Whether it will improve your speed reliability I donlt know as there can be many causes for that.

In theory it should just be a case of disconnecting the usb and connecting the Ethernet - this assumes you have an Ethernet card in your PC or the mobo has an Ethernet port - te PC should then request an IP address from the router and windows should then use that.
Teds31
Grafter

Voyger205 modem

Thanks Peter for the early reply and the info,I have always thought I was useing the wrong port :roll:
N/A

Voyger205 modem

That is "very" interesting.

I'm suffering variable low speeds and using a USB connection, will give this a shot and see what happens.

Cross fingers please Wink
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Voyger205 modem

also note that most USB modems draw the max 500mA that the board can provide, which can interfere with other USB devices, and cause 'brown outs' when ur modem disconnects. always better to have a mains powered usb hub for the modem.

a router is a better solution all round and allows multiple connections too