Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voice over IP

rascom
Grafter

Voice over IP

Hi all,

I work for a computer hardware sales company but we recommend PlusNet to any of our clients wanting broadband access.

A client has come to us requesting information on Voice over IP with the PlusNet service. I've seen a few other ISP's advertise this but cannot find anything on PlusNet's site about it.

Do any of you know, (a) if it is possible with PlusNet (512kbps connection planned) and (b) what hardware would be best for my client. Also, if they've got two or three extensions off their phone line, would each of these require the analog-digital hardware convertor equipment?
3 REPLIES
N/A

Voice over IP

It will work fine on a 512k connection (Near enough everything does anyway!), and as for hardware, any Mic/speakers that are compatible with a computer should do the job. I believe you only need the adapter for the line your using for the VoIP service.

Also I recommend taking a look at: http://www.btbroadbandvoice.com/broadband_voice/bb_voice_home.html

If you have any more questions, I highly recommend going to www.adslguide.org.uk and checking out their forum, they have a VoIP section on their forum, and people are generally helpful on there Smiley

Hope this helps.
N/A

Voice over IP

What sort of solution are they after, theoretically for a non local call each conversation takes up about 16k of bandwidth. Are they talking PC to PC or handsets which can also call normal numbers. Either way they would require a decent QoS solution, and over 512k I wouldnt like to consider anything more than about 5/6 simulateous calls and even then that would mean most of the upstream bandwidth being used.

If they also want to call normal land lines they will also require a VoIP to PTSN gateway, either one of there own or via someone else's. For buisnes I wouldnt consider VoIP with 512k for more than a few people if the link is being used for other things.
rascom
Grafter

Voice over IP

They're just a standard home user looking to reduce the costs of their calls and have heard VoIP may be possible so have asked us to investigate.