cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista problems again.

BML
Dabbler

Vista problems again.

I know there's a common problem in getting some Ethernet modems to work correctly on Vista and I'm sorry about the length of this post but I feel that a full description of the my experience may lead to a possible solution.

I used to use an ADSL modem which, as expected, couldn't be used when I changed from Windows ME to Vista so I obtained a D-Link DSL-320T Ethernet modem (ie no driver required). This modem works fine with my laptop which still has Windows ME but wouldn't access the internet on my new desktop with Vista.

The various tests which Vista offered produced the result that Windows could recognise that the name server was on line but could get no reply from it, this suggesting that it might be a firewall problem, but it persisted even when the Vista firewall was disabled.

I wondered if it might be a known problem with the DSL-320T so contacted the D-Link Help Desk which, I wasn't surprised to find, was in India. The woman there was extremely polite and helpful but - oh my goodness! - it was such an effort to make out what she was saying when it came to technical matters. However I did eventually manage to follow her instructions and get my system working by entering her suggested IP and DNS addresses in the TCP/IPv4 properties (replacing the "Server Assigned" setting).

This got me using the D-Link DNS and I wondered if it would work correctly if I changed these settings to the Plusnet addresses but that wouldn't work. Can anyone at Plusnet explain why this should be and how it's possible for me to work through Plusnet with a D-Link IP address?

And I still have a further problem: although the D-Link TCP/IP settings get my system on line I find that if I switch off my desktop and disconnect the phone line so that I can use it with my laptop then, when I reconnect the phone line to the Ethernet modem and switch on my desktop computer, I'm back to the old condition - no internet connection. The only way I can get it to work again is to change the TCP/IP settings back to "Server Assigned" and then change them back again to the D-Link ones. I suppose I can live with this since, when I have my new computer fully up and running, I won't be wanting to disconnect the phone line very often but it's still a nuisance.

Bruce.
8 REPLIES
fakesnake
Grafter

vista

hi, just to say i use a D-link g604t, and when i installed vista, on a seperate drive, vista went online with out changing anything.

i duel boot vista/xp so the router was set up first from xp. so it may be the way you have set the router, rather than a vista problem.
BML
Dabbler

Vista problems again.

i duel boot vista/xp so the router was set up first from xp. so it may be the way you have set the router, rather than a vista problem.

Thanks for the reply but I doubt if that's the case because the DSL-320T works fine with my laptop which still has Windows ME no matter which system is used to set it up. It still leaves the following questions unanswered:

1) Why do the TCP/IP entries suggested by D-Link force the Ethernet WAN connection to work while the Plusnet ones don't?

2) How is it possible for me to connect through Plusnet while using the IP address supplied by D-Link rather than that assigned by Plusnet?

3) Once set, why does the TCP/IP setting sometimes stop working and have to be removed and re-inserted to force the Ethernet WAN connection to work? (It's reminiscent of the way previous Windows versions used to lose the time format setting from time to time).

Bruce.
Community Veteran

Vista problems again.

Expansys have some very good technical forums on the D-Link range.
It may be worth taking a read through, or posting if the question has not been asked before.
http://www.expansys.com/f.aspx?i=110630

Chilly
N/A

Vista problems again.

If you are changing IP addresses on your desktop, rather than the router itself, then this is the local address used by your network rather than the global address visible on the internet.

Typically local IP addresses are in the form 192.168.x.x and these addresses are reserved solely for local addresses, i.e. the address of each individual computer behind a router.

The DNS (or Domain Name Server) address can be considered to be a directory of domain names (e.g. www.google.com) and actual server locations (e.g. 209.85.135.147). In essence the concept of domain names was that humans find it extremely difficult to remember the actual IP address a website server uses, and a great deal easier to remember a domain name composed of more familiar words. Thus the user enters domain name of a website into their browser, and the browser contacts the domain name server to find the actual IP of the server where the website is located. The process is almost identical to looking up the telephone number of a business or friend in a telephone directory, except that most users are completely unaware it is happening.

As DNS servers simply resolve domain names against IP addresses there's no reason why, unless the server restricts access, you couldn't use whichever DNS server you want for this purpose- many people use the popular OpenDNS in place of those provided by their ISP.

In terms of your problem, have you tried manually entering the DNS addresses into both your router and computer?

Have you update the router firmware to the most up to date release?

Have you ensured that Vista has been completely updated in case this is a known problem (I initially had problems connecting this laptop via wireless- using WPA- until I run an update over ethernet)?

Can you also explain why you need to remove your router from the telephone line in order to use your laptop?
waldron
Grafter

Vista problems again.

Also, when you enter the D-Link DNS, have you saved the new configuration before switching off?
BML
Dabbler

Vista problems again.

Many thanks lestones for that full explanation it certainly answers questions (1) and (2) in my last post but re (3):

have you tried manually entering the DNS addresses into both your router and computer?

I hadn't but I've now tried it and it makes no difference.

Have you update the router firmware to the most up to date release?

I had checked this by accessing the D-Link FTP site. Also the Indian lady at their help desk confirmed that I had the latest version.

Have you ensured that Vista has been completely updated in case this is a known problem (I initially had problems connecting this laptop via wireless- using WPA- until I run an update over ethernet)?

Oh yes indeed! I'm continually checking and discovered that there was an "optional" update for the Realtek RTL 8168/811 family of Ethernet connections (which Vista uses) issued on 29th March. I don't know what this was for but I installed it and it made no difference.

Can you also explain why you need to remove your router from the telephone line in order to use your laptop?

As I pointed out in my original post, I don't have a router. The DSL-320T is just an Ethernet modem (think of it as a single port router/modem if you like). I chose this because, under normal circumstances, I don't need a LAN.

BTW I now find that, even if I leave the phone line connected, the Ethernet WAN connection sometimes fails to connect after simply shutting down and later restarting the computer.

And thanks to chilly as well. I'm keeping an eye on that forum but most of the posts there are rather old. There are a couple of posts relating to Vista which haven't yet been answered. In the mean time I'll have to rely on the dodge of removing and reinserting the TCP/IP addresses to kick the connection back int life if it fails. At least it seems to remain working well once it's made the connection.

I'll let you know if there are further developments.

Bruce.
N/A

Vista problems again.

As has been stated the ip you put into Vista is a local ip and nothing to do with plus nets settings. The only setting for plus net are the ones for the modem ie username and password. As long as you have a working dns it will work everytine.

Your problem is that if you unplug it from Vista and use the laptop and plug it back into Vista then its not refreshing the network card. It will disable the card if there is no connection until its refreshed or you reboot. Changing the ip will force a refresh.The same promlem often happens with xp

If you leave the ip as server assigned and it doesnt come back on running ipconfig /renew should bring it back up. Or you can force a refresh in device manager. You should enter the same settings for the ip in ip6 as well as version 4.

You would be better getting a small switch and connecting both computers so Vista dose not loose the network card a cheap one could be as little as £10
BML
Dabbler

Vista problems again.

It will disable the card if there is no connection until its refreshed or you reboot. Changing the ip will force a refresh.The same promlem often happens with xp

But I did reboot. I switched the computer off before removing the connection and reconnected again before switching on again. I needed to disconnect the phone line because I wanted the laptop in the other room to access the internet via its Alcatel EA900 ADSL USB modem (not the D-Link Ethernet connection).

If you leave the ip as server assigned and it doesnt come back on running ipconfig /renew should bring it back up.

Out of interest I tried this and it didn't work. Instead I got the following message:

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

This seems to tie up with the message I was getting when I used Vista's "Diagnose and Repair". This told me that Window had recognised that the DNS was on line but that it couldn't get a reply.

Or you can force a refresh in Device Manager.

I looked in device manager but couldn't see how to cause it to refresh the Ethernet adapter. However I'm glad you mentioned it because in Device Manager I saw a "problem" device called Isatab (or something similar which I didn't recognise) marked with a "!" because "it didn't have the necessary driver". I think this must have been left there after I had tried to use the USB modem but I can't imagine where that strange name came from. I hoped that removing it might might have removed a registry entry which was causing the problem but it was a vane hope.

You should enter the same settings for the ip in ip6 as well as version 4.

I might be wrong but I got the impression that ip6 was used for LAN connections only and that the entries there should be left blank (which was the default). In fact I'm unable to enter any addresses there because, whatever I put there, I'm told that it's an invalid address.

I won't be bothering about the switch you suggest because this business of switching between computers is only temporary until I have the desktop one fully operative. If I had wanted the arrangement to be permanent I would, of course, have opted for a wireless router in the first place.

Bruce.