cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Private Network

N/A

Virtual Private Network

I am about to set up a VPN so i can connect to my server at work from home. Both machines run Win XP pro and are on ADSL from Plus-Net. I know how to do the basic settings, but my question is: My server at work connect to net through a DSL modem router thingy, do i use the servers IP address or the modem/routers IP address. Any help given will be welcomed.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Virtual Private Network

You need to use the external (public) IP address of the server, usually a 212 address to connect your VPN to. Make sure the relevent ports are open on your router as and when required.

Chris
N/A

Virtual Private Network

could you please state what ports i have to open as i am trying to get one to work at the moment

johnathan
N/A

VPN

Thanks for the reply, at home i have a D-Link 504 router and at work i have a modem / router from Plus -Net. What ports do i have to open?
N/A

Virtual Private Network

You need to use the external (public) IP address of the server, usually a 212 address to connect your VPN to. Make sure the relevent ports are open on your router as and when required.

Chris

I would be greatful if you could let me know what ports need to be opened. I'm having a nightmare trying to setup VPN on my home network using a zoom x3 adsl router and a windows 2000 server with remote access installed. I keep getting a message saying cannot conect to server.

Neil
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Virtual Private Network

What type of VPN server is it?

IPSEC ports
TCP 50 ESP
TCP 51 AH traffic
UDP 500 IKE traffic

PPTP uses TCP 1723 and GRE IP 47*

* GRE or IP protocol #47 woorks below UDP/TCP and does not have a port number. NAT devices have a very hard time trying to route it and most fail dismally.
N/A

Virtual Private Network

Thanks for the port numbers.

Sorry for sounding stupid, "what type of VPN server ?" I don't really understand should I be using something else. I've got a zoom x3 router connected to an 8 port 3com office connect which one of the ports is connected to a windows 2000 server and another port to a laptop running XP pro. I've definatley got the VPN/ working internaly on the network as I've tested using internal ip addresses and the laptop connects and authenticates with the server. when a friend tries to connect externally he gets server not responding.

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil
N/A

Virtual Private Network

Please see the thread "Dlink 504 Router with VPN set-up" on this forum for further details of the ports and a link to a site which will answer most, if not all, of your questions about DSL504 routers.

HTH