cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View my usage - reports are they right or wrong?

N/A

Anyone got a measure to baseline some typical bandwidth should be? I browse 3-4 pages on internet explorer (yahoo pages)and then view my usage reports 3.3MB !! Is that what I should really get reported?

Just so people do not think I have a virus or anything sending unknown packets I am measuring on a clean XP install, zonealarn and spywarepro all loaded up.

Any ideas welcome.
Thanks
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Browsing just a few websites / pages can clock up the data downloaded due to all the various graphics used on them. You may be surprised just how many graphics images are needed to make up a webpage - even this forum page uses possibly 40 or 50 images to build the page layout.

So 3.3Megs is certainly not unexpected or unusual for visiting a few pages.

What does happen is once the images are downloaded they are stored in your browser cache so revisiting the pages does not download them all again. So subsequent visits download less data because the images are found locally.

And to answer your main query, the VMU is very accurate now for the majority of people. Also remember it may not show data downloaded in the past 2 hours.
N/A

Hello

Here is a typical table of a weekly usage profile; it is meant to lead to a 2GB allowance;
If I were to adopt this level of activity I will be about 4GB on the Plusnet data-counters.(!)
So what does 2GB a month allow me to do?

For the majority of users, 2GB a month is more than enough. The table below displays a range of typical weekly online activities that you could undertake.

General web browsing 50 hours a week
Sending/receiving photos (by e-mail) 50 per week
Downloading MP3s 30 per week
Sending/receiving e-mails (no attachments) 400 per week
Watching videos 30 minutes per week
Online gaming 2 hours per week
TOTAL 2GB / month

These are examples of usage, not limits. Other online activity can result in data transfer. Please note; this is only an approximate guide.

Community Veteran

Don't forget that once you have viewed a page then its stored in your PC's cache memory for quite some time. So the next time you go to that page its loaded from your hard drive unless the page has changed.
This will reduce the data you download be quite a lot.
N/A

i monitor all my bandwidth with dumeter 24/7 and the plusnet usage meter is always 20mb over what i have down as my daily total, it all adds up at the end of the month so its about 600mb over each month, not great but it could be worse i spose.
N/A

I monitor my with Magitime and is the same.
Magitime shows 3.18 GB up/download
Plusnet 3.37GB.
well
Is not very bad but when u are paying Pay and GO you cant be sure when full Gb will be used.
hitachi
Grafter

Don't forget Plusnet use 1000 not 1024 for a GB.
N/A

Yes, I find that if I multiply my own figure (using BMextreme) by 1.024 it comes out near as dammit the same as PlusNet's figures.

As to usage, Peter's right - I've looked at figures while I'm browsing, not just the total at the end of the day, and there's a tremendous variation between sites. As one example, The National Archives, after the 1901 census fiasco, have seen fit to hand the other years over to an American company, Ancestry.com, whose pages are so overloaded with crap that an hour on there can quite easily result in as much data transfer as the whole of the rest of the day's activities added together.