cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View My Usage Values

N/A

View My Usage Values

I have just got Broadband with a router. The View My Usage screen shows usage on days when I haven't even turned my PC on. The router is on all the time though. Is this normal behaviour ?

Thanks.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

View My Usage Values

Yes, because even though you may not be using your ADSL connection, when your router is on, other PCs will stll scan you and thus you will get data transfered. To stop this you should also switch off your router.

How much usage is it showing? If it is a lot (several megabytes) you may need to investigate what it is via your routers logs.
N/A

View My Usage Values

It seem to be around half a meg a day. Maybe I'll just turn the router off if I'm not going to be using it for a while.
N/A

View My Usage Values

My figures show usage even when the PC is off. This is typically under 1Mb (sometimes .2MB/day but up to .9Mb) and I had assumed that it was due other PC's scanning my PC looking for vunerabilities. However, the number of alerts in my router log is quite low.

200Kb is quite a large number of "pings" - Ovbiously DOS attacks (e.g. "Ping of death" would be larger). Do PlusNet monitor IP traffic for common attack types? And if so, could they make a list available so that people can ensure that their PC's/routers are patched against such attacks?
N/A

View My Usage Values

The security of your pc is down to yourself, and I'm not aware of PN providing specific information as to common attacks. However there is lots of information on the web about different attack types.

It's worth stating at this point, that a lot of hits against firewalls doesn't mean your under attack in anyway. Infected PC's search out for other PC's to infect and may hit your firewall many times in that search, and often routers will record this traffic as DOS. These hits are just part of the background when using the internet, and there is little to nothing you can do about them, so it's not worth being too concerned.

Protecting yourself against common attacks is down to yourself, and is mainly down to the type of setup, hardware and software that you imploy in protection and use.

A router with a firewall (Nat, SPI) will normally be the first line of defence, and will trap about 90% of hits or attacks. Secondly you can add a linux box or something like that, to filter and perform IDS. Finally your machine, a software firewall running (with IDS if you've not got an intermediate machine).
You can get software firewalls now that will perform IDS and SPI as well.

Routers can be updated with firmware upgrades, but keeping your software firewall, anti-virus, and any IDS software is very important.

In addition I use IP blocking software on top of IDS, to filter out bad IP addresses.

(Sorry for going a little off-topic)
N/A

View My Usage Values

Hello gadgetboy, I wasn't intending to imply the PN were responsible for my machine. I was merely suggesting that if there was a common attack then it might be in PN's interest to try and inform people and encourage them to apply patches etc to avoid either getting infected themselves or wasting bandwidth while they attempt to infect other machines.

I'm not too concerned as I have NAT/SPI on the ADSL router, software firewall and anti-virus on the machine, and, it is up-to-date with patches. However, if the PN network gets swamped with virus/worm traffic then I don't have a useable Internet connection.

PN have taken action in the past. eg. Blocking the netbios port to prevent the blaster virus spreading.
N/A

View My Usage Values

Well the strange things is that most of these attacks haven't really affected the PN network that much. I think PN do post warning if there is a major virus/trojan outbreak in the service announcements.

PN block ports 135 and 445, currently. However there are lots of other ports which are used by viruses etc. It's difficult to see what more they can do, and blocking more ports will also cause problems to the network.

Anyway, this is going way off topic. I'm happy to carry on the conversation, but not within this topic.

Aaron
N/A

View My Usage Values

Hi
There still seems to be a problem with "summary of usage in previous months" the figures shown there do not tally with actual usage shown in "usage so far for this month" I know there is a delay in real time but an error of 0.39GB is fairly large.(for the current month)
This topic has been raised before, wonder if others still have the same problem when "viewing my usage" :?:
Community Veteran

View My Usage Values

Simple answer: the outstanding bug has not been fixed yet. Until it has been you will get inconsistant figures reported.
N/A

View My Usage Values

Simple question: Does that mean if I use a fraction more bandwidth than my allocated amount will I be charged for the extra?
N/A

View My Usage Values

Thank you peter, you are a fountain of knowledge Cool
N/A

View My Usage Values

Hi
check the thread "spreadsheet to track broadband usage" by goodconnexions, have downloaded the spreadsheet, its not bad. Wink
Community Veteran

View My Usage Values

Simple question: Does that mean if I use a fraction more bandwidth than my allocated amount will I be charged for the extra?

It is just the summary info that is wrong. The daily totals and monthly figures used for bandwidth costings are correct. If you go over your quota you will be charged.