Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very unstable line

Boundey
Grafter

Very unstable line

Hi all,

I have a big problem here.
I've been upped to MaxDSL and i've finished my 10 day trial.

Now during the 10 day trial i found my line to be quite stable tbh. Not many disconections or anything. I was maxing out my connection most days at 360+KB/sec.

Now however, i'm struggling to maintain a steady connection.
I seem to be dropping lots of packets, speeds are not getting over 70KB/sec. Worst of all, my line stats are looking pretty grim!!

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3776 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 52 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 0 db 17 db

anyone give me some pointers?

cheers.
9 REPLIES
Boundey
Grafter

Very unstable line

Also, one other thing... when my connection drops and comes back, is it still meant to connect at a different rate all the time?

I thought this was just in the 10 day trial period this happens?

Cheers.
vic_newey
Grafter

Very unstable line

are you sure your trial has finished ?
mine lasted 18 days before I had the ' completed ' message from +net & even then its reverted 3 times back to my original 1 meg, in fact i had another ' your upgrade is completed' the other day so I have been maxed twice it seems Tongue
Boundey
Grafter

Very unstable line

well to be honest... i didnt even get an e-mail to say it had started lol.

and i certainly havent got an e-mail to say its ended.

so you think it might be worth while getting on the phone?

anyone from PN comment on this please?
N/A

Very unstable line

Max DSL is currently a poorly tested, worthless piece of junk...it is second only to PN customer support in the "worst supporting actor" category.
Boundey
Grafter

Very unstable line

So am i right in thinking that each time the router looses sync it will change the speed im connected at?

If not, thats whats its doing... just doesnt seem to find its stable rate!
Nocturne
Grafter

Very unstable line

I have been advised:

When the line resynchs it doesn't automatically select a particular speed, it starts afresh and negotiates a rate that provides the required noise margin set at the BT end.

If the line resynchs for a reason other than a deteriorating noise margin it is quite possible that it will restart at the same or a higher speed than before.

I had an MSR of 7000 for at least 13 days towards the end of and after the Trial.
One recent re-synch was at 1088 so I don't think my current MSR of 1500 will last long.

I haven't had a mail saying my trial has ended although it was supposed to be on the 12th - I think.

Good luck - many of us seem to need it with MaxDsl.
Boundey
Grafter

Very unstable line

Yeah i would believe so...

Has anyone had an e-mail confirming the end of the trial? I have contacted PN through their new support assistant thing which i think is pretty bad!

I wouldnt mind someone from PN actually commenting on this thread is possible.
N/A

Very unstable line

Yeah i would believe so...

Has anyone had an e-mail confirming the end of the trial? I have contacted PN through their new support assistant thing which i think is pretty bad!

I wouldnt mind someone from PN actually commenting on this thread is possible.

I'm one of the many who have never received a mail saying that their trial had even started, but I know that I've been on max for at least 22 days, probably longer (upgraded while on holiday.

I do have one clue, when I opened a totally unrelated technical ticket part of the reply said 'on upgrade path'. That was about a week ago.

According to what I've read, BT have a target SNR of 6 dB, which is not enough to give a stable connection to people living far enough from exchanges to hold their speed, particularly in the evenings. My SNR is between 4.2 and 6.2 dB. The lower figure is fine for the daytime, I sync at a steady 3424, but in the evenings I get several line drops and resyncs to lower speeds.

BT withdrew the bulk upgrade tool because they are having so many problems with Max. It is supposed to be restored on 6th June, but I somehow doubt they'll have things fixed by then.

IMHO BT should have used a representative sample of customers for their max trials, not cherry-picked only those with a rock-solid 2 mb connection.

On a more optimistic note, some people have reported large improvements by buying new routers. The problem is, which is likely to give improved stable speeds? Some routers allow you to change your SNR, so if it's too low for stability you can increase it, with a decrease in line speed, until you find a number that keeps you connected with a reasonable speed. Then you have to get your stable rate updated by plus, which isn't always an easy task as there are reports of BRAS being faulty.

It would be nice if somebody from Customer Support looked at the threads about stability, speed and disconnections, then passed the information on to their colleagues. But all of CS is trying to handle the complaints and problems that max, LLU and assorted network and usage SNAFUs have brought.

Community Support links:-
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43637
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43703
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43564

There are plenty of reports and information outside Plus. Try googling for more information on whatever your Max issue is. There are plenty to choose from!
N/A

Re: Very unstable line

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3776 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 52 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 0 db 17 db

The 0dB noise margin on the downstream is probably why you're dropping sync so often. Although at the time of sync, your router should sync at the target of 6dB (or whatever BT have set your line at). However, this does fluctuate, but in your case, it looks like its fluctuated too much.