cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speeds, timeouts

N/A

The last few days I've been getting very slow speeds with many web pages timing out. I switched my router off for about an hour a couple of days ago, which seemed to make a difference for a short time, but everything has continued to be be intermittantly slow. My P2P seems to manage 5kBs at best whereas a week ago it was 500kBs+...

I have been trying to do a BT speed test this morning, but I cannot get past the entry of the telephone number/checking user details. (it's been sitting on this for 10 mins and as I write this...)
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Can't see any reason on your account for the speeds suddenly slowing down, everything is set the same as previously.

What results do you get on an alternate speedtest?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Just after posting I again tried the BT speedtest and it got to the entering the username and said it did not recognise me as being on this telephone line... Tried again several times and managed to get a speedtest:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5626 kbps

Seems like resonable speeds to me, but this is not reflected in a variety of websites; e.g. www.mx5ocforum.co.uk forum.miata.net/vb/ and others...

Now switching everything off, including router, while we go out for an hour or so...
N/A

The alternative speed test shows 6052... :?

and everything seems to have speeded up again... Will switch off and see what it's like after everything's reset and had a rest...
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Let us know if things slow down again and we'll look into it for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

After a rest, everything seems to be back to normal... though the P2P server crashed for unknown reasons during the night.

Guess it must be the overweight american OS that can't take too much exercise :-)

Thanks for the responses, Chris...