cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor speeds

N/A

Very poor speeds

I've been getting very poor speeds for the past few days i usually get around 280KB/s for downloading but i am now getting a max around 15-20KB/s. With 3 people using the connection its very annoying.

I have swapped out the router for a spare along with cabling and i've had the exact same results.

My router reports this:

SNR Margin 15 21 dB
Line Attenuation 48 29 dB
Data Rate 2368 448 kbps

Im on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 2

I've tried using the bt speedtester site for the last 30mins but i keep getting a system busy message.

Anything that can be done about this?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Very poor speeds

BT tester is back up:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1792 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 77 kbps
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Very poor speeds

Hi there,

I've just checked your line and it appears that you are now syncing at 1792, which means if it stays like that then the profile will lift to 1000/1500.
Something (probably the weather) caused your line to sync at 160k on the 24th June which is why you saw the speed drop.

As long as your line stays syncing at the higher rate the speed will increase in around 3 days from when this happened.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Very poor speeds

I'm pretty happy usually with my speeds but they dropped off dramatically on Saturday. liked the weather fix.
also do you have some sort of restriction to service if you download too much?
Mand
Grafter

Very poor speeds

Hi there,

All of our products have a download allowance with unrestricted service overnight, and during the day depending on your product type.

You can see the details of the new products here and can see information for the older products here.
N/A

Very poor speeds

don't you email a user to say their service will be restricted in any way? i haven't had much trouble with plus.net in over a year, but since the weekend i've been on 250kbps - i'm not having that even if i am on fixed rate 1 or 2mb why the change since the weekend have i gone over my limit or something?
James
Grafter

Very poor speeds

Actually, we used to do this, but then encountered a problem with the sending of emails after we made some changes to the way that Broadband Plus is managed.

Have you considered looking at our new Broadband Your Way products? The equivalent priced product would give you 8GB of peak time usage between 8am and midnight.
N/A

Very poor speeds

Once again i'm downloading at a blistering 16KB/s which i find a bit ridiculous tbh. Is there anyway to have the speed set at my highest (downloading at about 280KB/s) and just left there?

I live in the middle of the countryside so i don't expect I will be able to get any faster and coming home from work to find i'm going nearly 20 times slower than i should be is very annoying.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Very poor speeds

Unfortunately until the reason behind the drop in sync has been fixed the line will probably keep slowing down.
This is the way MaxDSL works and we can't provide a speed any faster than you are connecting to the exchange.

If you want to raise it as a speed fault then we can get BT to look at this for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

broadband is slower than it used to be

I'm in the countryside and when I first joined Plusnet nearly over 2.5 years ago, it was faster than it is today.
I find Plusnet a great service, very reliable but overall the whole broadband experience seems slower, no longer are connections to sites instant, they have a delay, more sluggishness.
Yet I still get 480k speeds, and it has always been 460-480k so the actually line speed has never changed.
I guess it's network conjestion, more people using the exchange etc, really don't know. I wish it was a snappy as it used to be 2 years ago.
My computer is top spec, fast Apple Mac.
Wonder if BT will ever upgrade countryside lines!!! Guess not, yet we pay the same line rental and broadband costs as everyone else! And we get half a meg!!!!
N/A

Very poor speeds

Ok i had a day of acceptable speeds and im back down to crap again, should a report a line fault or something to get this sorted?