cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very intermittant connection Help!

N/A

The router is connected directly to the master socket via the microfilter with the fax machine.

Before unplugging fax

Local Tx Power: 11.55 dB
Remote Tx Power: 14.11 dB
Local Line Atten.: 58.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 30.5 dB
Local SNR Margin: 20.5 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 24.0 dB

After unplugging fax

Local Tx Power: 11.55 dB
Remote Tx Power: 14.11 dB
Local Line Atten.: 55.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 30.5 dB
Local SNR Margin: 21.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 24.0 dB

I can't upgrade the firmware at the present time due to solwise's site being down but the current firmware hasn't given me any problems, so I don't believe thats causing the problem.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Please can someone shed some light on a strange problem that started last friday, I noticed that web browsing was slow and kept timing out so I had a look at the log of the SAR110 modem/router which showed that the connection would drop and then reconnect almost once a minute.

Here's a extract of the log

Mon Mar 22 15:31:11 2004 : MAJOR ALARM : DSL Interface Down
$
Mon Mar 22 15:31:11 2004 : MAJOR ALARM : ATM Interface Down : Interface -
atm-0
$
Mon Mar 22 15:31:11 2004 : WARNING : PPP Interface Down : Interface - ppp-0

Mon Mar 22 15:31:11 2004 : WARNING : ATM VC Down : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38

Mon Mar 22 15:31:27 2004 : STATUS ALARM : DSL Interface Up

Mon Mar 22 15:31:27 2004 : STATUS ALARM : ATM Interface Up : Interface - atm-0

Mon Mar 22 15:31:27 2004 : STATUS ALARM : ATM VC Up : Interface - aal5-0, PortId=7, Vpi=0, Vci=38
$
Mon Mar 22 15:31:29 2004 : STATUS ALARM: PPP Authorization Successful : Interface - ppp-0
$
Mon Mar 22 15:31:29 2004 : STATUS ALARM : PPP Interface Up : Interface - ppp-0

I hope someone can provide some help as I'm new to fault finding ADSL.

Thanks Simon
Community Veteran

Try the following tutorials:

ADSL: Trouble Shooting
ADSL: Wiring and Filters

Disconnect all phones and see if the problem, still exists. make sure all phones, faxes, 56k modems and sky boxes are connected via an ADSL filter/splitter. Not doing this can cause disconnections.

Upgrade the firmware on your router

Connect to the master socket and see if the problem occurs. If not and you normally connect to an extension you may have bad wiring / connections somewhere.

Can you also post the SNR and line attenuation figures that your router can show. It will look something like this:

Local Tx. Power(dB) : 11.55
Remote Tx.Power(dB) : 15.8
Local Line Atten(dB) : 58.0
Remote Line Atten(dB) : 31.5
Local SNR Margin(dB) : 28.5
Remote SNR Margin(dB) : 21.0

Also post if they differ when unplugging all your phones and when cobnnected to your master socket and extennsion socket. A decrease in SNR or an increase in Line Attenuation indicates a deterioration in line conditions. SNRs below 10dB can cause line loss/disconnections, as can a high line atten >70dB
Community Veteran

I can't upgrade the firmware at the present time due to solwise's site being down but the current firmware hasn't given me any problems

Apart from the disconnections Wink

The line quality figures look good so it does not look like they are to blame. Do you get the problem when the fax is not connected? What about other phones in the house?

Have you tried another ADSL filter/splitter, preferable a differet make/type?

If none of that makes any difference then all I can sugegst is raise a contact us ticket and get plusnet to do a whoosh test and pass it on to BT.
N/A

Thanks for your help I've tried disconnecting the fax machine and swapping the microfilter but still no joy guess I'll be contacting customer support.

Thanks again