cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very basic questions........ sorry

N/A

As a prospective newbie to broadband in the foreseeable future I have a few questions.

1) I am correct in assuming that 2 computers can connect at the same?
2)If the above is correct I take it I need a router is that correct?
3)What is required to connect the main computer to the router if 1&2 are correct.
4)what is the best way to connect a laptop?

The reason for the basic questions is I have'nt got a clue as to which of the Plusnet packages to order when the time comes,the only thing I know is I would like is the fastest possable.

Thanks Ian & Linda Jordan
6 REPLIES
N/A

1) Yes (see #2)
2) Either a router or one computer access the 'net through the other using software such as Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing (included with all versions of windows later than Windows 98SE). This will mean the primary computer needs to be on for the other to access the 'net through it.
3) This will depend on the router you choose but will most likely require a regular Ethernet cable (Cat5)
4) 'Best' depends on the amount you're willing to spend. You could use the same type of cabling as for the desktop (standard Ethernet cable) but this means you will be restricted to the length of the cable and can get a bit annoying at times. That's the cheapest method with ethernet cable coming very cheaply.
The alternative is wireless which is slower (yet still many times faster than broadband adsl) and more costly but will allow you to move about much more freely.
There are plenty of products on the market for you to choose from. I personally recommend Netgear's DG814 as a wired adsl-modem-router and their wireless version, the DG824M which is the same but with wireless capability. There are many others available so I suggest you look around a bit Smiley
N/A

1/ Two PC's can share the same connection, although they obviously also share the available bandwidth.
2/ For 2 PC's you do not need a router, you can use a network connection between the two (assuming the laptop has a LAN adapter built in), a USB modem on the primary machine and MS Internet connection sharing. However, the primary machine will have to be on for the second machine to be able to access the internet.
For future proofing and to bypass the problems that can occur with certain motherboards and USB / PCI modems, a modem router is a far better route to take.
3/ Whether using Internet connection sharing or a router, as indicated in2 above, both machines will need network cards, either to connect the two machines together or to connect to the router. If the laptop does not have a Network adapter (RJ45 connection and not BNC), a PCMCIA network adapter can be quite costly.
4/ laptop connection can only be by LAN. Although USB networking is possible it is not common and a little flaky.
N/A

Forgot to add, as to which +Net package to choose.
Unless you are going to use P2P file sharing, such as Kazaa, Grokster, Bearshare and so on, you can have the cheaper Home Surf package. If you are going to use P2P you need the Home package. You can upgrade from Home Surf to Home at a later date if needed.
N/A

"The alternative is wireless which is slower (yet still many times faster than broadband adsl) and more costly but will allow you to move about much more freely."

Thanks for the reply,at least I know now what I need to be looking for at ordering time.The wireless system would seem a good idea from our viewpoint,so is probably the route I shall go.One final question....... what do the computers need to connect to the wireless router in the way of a transmitter (if that's the correct term),because when the time finally comes I will get the engineer to set up the main computer,as my expertise does not stretch that far ,but wonder what I will need to get for the laptop.

We appreciate the feedback and now the numbers to "trigger" level are dropping quite quickly are quite looking forward to it.

Ian & Linda Jordan
Community Veteran

You will need a wireless network card for your laptop.
It basically does the same job as a normal network card but over wireless.
If it's for a laptop it needs to be PCMCIA (card slot), make sure it is the same wireless speed of your router e.g. 11mbit / 22mbit / 56mbit.

Chris
N/A

Thanks Chris

Just checked and it does :-)

Ian & Linda Jordan