cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Connection

mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

On Tuesday July 24 my BT telephone line was allegedly restored to normal working order following five days without it, yet amazingly PlusNet broadband worked normally during this period.

Also on July 24, 2007, BT claims to have repaired the line at 19.00 hours. Voice now works fine, but my download speed today and yesterday after 19.00 has dropped from its customary 7MB to 51kbps!

Running a complete system scan with McAfee Security Centre reveals nothing. Disabling the Internet broadband connection for over 30 minutes this morning has also achieved zilch.

When please will normal PlusNet speeds be restored?
27 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

Please can you complete a BT Speedtest (help available here).
mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

In spite of consulting the 'help' link you kindly supplied, entering the BT landline number which supplies the connection to PlusNet broadband, and entering the username@plusdsl.net, the error message is that the login name is unknown!

The speed quoted as that for downloads comes from PC Pitstop's 'Optimise' (latest version). The connection speed actually went up to a dizzy 61kbps before lunch, but has now dropped again to 51 instead of 7MB.

The username@plusdsl.net is the same used to access the current very slow connection I have, and that supplied by PlusNet when I switched to broadband.

I hope this information will help!

Thanks in advance
mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

The Status readings from the D-Link 300T ADSL modems are:

DSL Status: Connected
DSL Speed: 448Kbps Upstream
5600 Kbps Downstream

LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Ethernet: Connected
DHCP Server: Running.
mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

this shows my download speed as 127.55 Kbps and the upstream speed as 371.05 Kbps.

When will normal faster broadband be resumed please?

moderators note by rogerloxton: turned full url into link to stop the screen stretching
James
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

Hi there,

I've just replied to your ticket. Can you please try rebooting and retesting to see if you notice any improvements in performance?
mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

Many thanks for your reply. Disabling the D-Link 300T ADSL modem, rebooting the PC and restarting the connection have raised the speed to 200Kbps, but not alas to around 1,500 Kbps as formerly enjoyed.
monty
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

Hi mbryt

I have had a similar problem, are you running Windows Vista ?

I am and I noticed that it had recently update my lan card driver so I rolled it back and my downloads are way back up again....

Hope this is of some help.
mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

No, I'm running WinXP SP2 on a DELL C521, which is only 3 months old.

BT Speed Tester refuses my PlusNet broadband login saying that it is wrong, yet this is what I use to access the service. Using thinkbroadband.com the average downstream speed today was 461Kbps, whereas PC Pitstop's Optimise shows just over 200Kbps. Before BT restored the voice part of our phone line two days ago, the downstread speed was regularly 7MB or just below.

BT were said by PlusNet to have configured my phone line for 3MB, but this was and surely should still be 8MB.

I know BT have been under pressure with flooding here, but hope that I shall have my line re-examined and the speed increased to what it was.
mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

I have just looked at the faults page on BT's web site.
They say that the fault is likely to be with their network, for which they are sorry, and that the repair will be made soon.

Fingers crossed...!
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

BT Speed Tester refuses my PlusNet broadband login saying that it is wrong, yet this is what I use to access the service.

Are you using your username in the form <username>@plusdsl.net

The username will need the be the same one that your modem uses to connect to the PlusNet network.
mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

Yes, precisely the one I use to access PlusNet Broadband. This is why I have had to resort to thinkbroadband.com and PC Pitstop's Optimise.

I saw from BT's web site this morning that they believe the fault to be with their network, but say that I must ask PlusNet for information, so I have added that to the outstanding ticket.

Best Wishes
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

Some users have reported this error intermitently when using the BT Speedtester. Might be worth trying again later on to see if it works then.
mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

Thanks for this info.

I must have tried now eight or nine times spread over two days, but always with the error result.
mbyrt
Grafter

Very Slow Connection

The login name entered on this tool doesnt match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name - is the error message yet again whilst trying to run the BT Speed Test with username@plusdsl.net.

Very frustrating especially since I still have the low speed of connection.