cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very SLow Connection

N/A

Very SLow Connection

Hi.

I've just moved to Plusnet from BT Broadband and now my line speed has dropped to a QUARTER of its speed Sad

I've been on BT's 2mb connection with a download speeds of 220kb/sec for the last 2 years but "upgraded" to Plusnets Premier Account this week.

My line supports 8mb so why have i dropped to 505.50kbps with a download speed of 63kb/sec?

I connect with a Netgear DG834 router box from a BT line.
I've even changed the dns name servers to the Plusnet ones.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Very SLow Connection

I just tried to put my BT login back into my router box and it won't let me connect.

I am seriously pissed off now.

I'm on the 30 day trial, so if this line doesn't start speeding up shortly i'm going straight back to BT.

I had a good reliable 2mb/sec with BT. I was offered a free upgrade to 8mb from BT but decided to come to Plusnet because they were offering a static ip address.
The static ip seems insignificant now.
Community Veteran

Very SLow Connection

The speed at which you connect to the exchange is down to the line and BT and nothing at all to do with Plusnet.
If you have just been put on Max then you do need to allow at least 10 days for BT's equipement to "train" itself and sort out the speed at which it thinks you can run at safely.

If after that 10 days its still very slow then if you go via the help and support pages and raise it as a fault it can be passed to BT to sort it out.
N/A

Very SLow Connection

Ok. Thanks for the reply.

I still can't see why i can't continue to connect at 2mb/sec (which i know works) while the equipment "trains" itself.

I'm going to enjoy my holidays surfing at these speeds! Very Retro.

Merry Christmas.
Community Veteran

Very SLow Connection

The problem is you are now connected to different equipement in the exchange and unfortunately this training time seems to be a necessary part of the Max process.
What is supposed to work is to disconnect and then reconnect once a day to make the BT kit adjust itself. This can take 3 days or so to see any change.
Dont do it too often though as it will see it as a line fault which in turn will reduce your speed.

My own connection varies from as low as 4 mb up to 7 mb for no apparent reason. Just one of the mysteries of Max.

If though at the and of the 10 day traing period it's still low then I'm sure that Plusnet can get BT to sort it for you.
N/A

Very SLow Connection

Ok. Thanks for the explanations. I was just expecting an instant speed-up.

I'll give it 10 days then and see if it gets better.

:?
Community Veteran

Very SLow Connection

Just a thought on this. Can you access the line stat figures from your router? i.e. loss and SNR. This would give a good Idea as to what you should be seeing as a decent speed.
N/A

Very SLow Connection

Hmm.. I don't see loss or SNR.

Statistics yeilds:

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 10965 13280 0 390 3949 01:00:50
LAN 100M/Full 67855 55227 0 6364 859 02:40:42

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 21 db 4 db
Noise Margin 30 db 25 db
Community Veteran

Very SLow Connection

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 21 db 4 db
Noise Margin 30 db 25 db

Those are the figures Loss = Attenuation and Margin = SNR (Signal to noise Ratio)

Those are saying that you are actually connected at 2mb and not on Max at all. (your up speed would be 448 on Max)
I think this will be the case because you have migrated across on 2mb and as far as I recall you will be provisioned at that same rate.

What you need to do is to actually request the upgrade to Max by using the help and support link at the top of the page.

Looking at the loss and noise ratio your line should easily run to pretty well the full 8mb speed once upgraded
N/A

Very SLow Connection

Right, i've requested the upgrade.
Let's hope that'll solve it.

I still find it strange though, that, although connected at 2mb, i only get half/mb. That didn't happen when i fist got broadband.

Well, i'll wait and see what happens then.

Thanks for you help.
Community Veteran

Very SLow Connection

No problem and I hope it all goes well.

Just one more point though. I'm not certain what the state of play is with possibly doing your upgrade via the LLU platform (Tiscali network). They did suspend this for a while because of all the problems with Tiscali.

If you want to make sure that you are only upgraded to Max via a BT network then you also need to go and use the option to "Opt out" of LLU. Once again via the help and support pages.
N/A

Very SLow Connection

Ok. done.

I need a drink now!

:shock:
N/A

Very SLow Connection

Woohoo.

Update:
100%[====================================================>] 18,946,956   

774.82K/s ETA 00:00

8Mb connection is now working.
Huge difference from the 60K/s download speed i was getting yesterday.

Many thanks to johnessex for pointing me in the right direction.
One happy customer now!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy