cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vastly fluctuating SNR & poss upg to 1MB

N/A

I'd just like some thoughts on my situation please Tongue

I am on the 512k Premier package and am happy with speed etc and am considering applying for the 1mb upgrade in the near future. As my line is not 1MB compatable via the online checker, i've been monitoring the attenuation & SNR figures given by my router to see if I stand a chance.

My attenuation is rock steady at 56dB - so hopefully i'm within spec there. My SNR on the other hand can fluctate a lot. For the most part it is around 20 / 22 but can slip to 15 / 16 occassionally. However I've seen a few times where it is all the way down to 3 :shock: This is worrying as if I was succesful on an upgrade then this almost certainly mean disconnections Sad I suspect some kind of interference or crosstalk on the line at some point - however I think i've done everything I can to rule out my internal wiring as I purchased a filtered NTE5 plate from clarity.it. The only normal phone extension runs of the filtered connections on this.

To summarise here is all the relevent info (I think):

Netgear DG834 wireless router, reporting
56dB attenuation (steady)
best SNR seen 26dB
worst SNR seen 3dB
normally between 20 / 22 dB
Using filtered NTE5 faceplate
There are other on my street who have just received ADSL
I am extended reach, i.e would have been refused before 6 Sept 04.
My exchange is noted as red for virtual paths - work due in Novenber.

Obviously this isnt a fault as such as my connection is fine for the most part, only noticed service to be a problem once. It even seems to keep sync when at 3dB.

So question is, if I requested an upgrade would BT investigate the wildly fluctuating SNR or is it a case of you're too far away and 512 works? Or is this a possible fault condition that needs referring to BT? I dont want to raise a ticket with PlusNet unnecessarily as I dont think it is a Plus Net issue - if you see what i mean.

Any thoughts appreciated, Cool
5 REPLIES
N/A

In order for BT to perform any work on the ADSL side of your line, it would have to go though Plus Net first anyway. You can ask Plus Net to get BT to perform a woosh test to see if your line is capable of supporting 1Mb.

It might be worth waiting till the work at your local exchange is completed and see how your values look after this.

It's worth bearing in mind, that if your boardline and you do get an upgrade, the upgrade could push your line over the threshold. You might get disconnections as you noted, but you might also get poor performance.

However if you apply for an upgrade and it decided that your line cannot support 1Mb, then you will stay at 512 and your upgrade fee will be refunded.

Aaron
N/A

Yeah, probably wise to wait a few weeks and see if things settle once BT do some work at the exchange. There does seems to be some activity in the area by BT as well... they replaced my telegraph pole this week, so maybe there is a schedule of work going on in the area.

Thanks for your input.
N/A

Sounds like I'm in a similar situation, though I HAVE upgraded to 1Mb shortly after September 6th.

I was always on the borderline for 512k (prior to 6th Sept), and linecheckers (and most ISPs!) said I couldn't have Broadband at all. I persuaded Plusnet to attempt connection; I obtained it; and happily used 512 faultlessly for 6 months or so.

With the recent abolition/extension of limits, I took BT's publicity at it's word ie. 'those who currently get 512k, will now be able to upgrade to 1Mb', and requested an upgrade to 1Mb.

Things went well at first and I was getting a speed of around 940ish on Plusnet's Speed test.

But.....in the past few weeks, I've been getting repeated dis-connections. Annoying since, I previously had constant 24x7 connection (albeit at 512). Plusnet tells me that it's because my 'loop loss' is 63dB and I was probably incorrectly given 1Mb. (Although this might fluctuate, and reduce to <60dB at times.

My question for griffinuk:-
How did you measure the attenuation and SNR figures yourself? I assumed this could only be done from 'their' end. If I could do it from my end, I could see how much it does actually vary.

I have to decide whether I want to drop back down to 512k, or put up with repeated dis-connections.

Unless, anyone knows whether there is anything else I can do to improve line quality.

Having checked my speed (using Plusnets speedchecker) recently, it appears to have droped to arround 860ish. This coincides with the lack of stability experienced in recent weeks.

Is there anything that might have caused a permanent or temporary degradation in line quality?

Cheers,
Don
Community Veteran

My question for griffinuk:-
How did you measure the attenuation and SNR figures yourself? I assumed this could only be done from 'their' end. If I could do it from my end, I could see how much it does actually vary.

The DG834 with firmware v1.05.00 shows the line attenuation and SNR figures.

Unless, anyone knows whether there is anything else I can do to improve line quality.

Are you connected to your master socket. If not try there arnd see if it still disconnects.

Try a better ADSL filter/splitter like this one.

Post the results of a 10 min WinMTR to www.linx.org and see what the packet loss (if any) and ping times are like as that will effect speeds. As will the load balancing issue that BT/PlusNet have detailed here.
N/A

As Peter said Cool

I think your experience confirms really what I thought - a borderline case now that works fine at 512k is going to cause issues at 1mb unless very lucky. I'm going to wait until BT do their work on our exchange and see if that improves matters, if not I'll sit back and be thankful of 512k - its not that I really need 1Mb, it would just be nice to know I can have it should the need arise.

Cheers