cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various Connection Problems

N/A

Hi Guys,

I can't access three websites (that I know of) unless I go through a public proxy. I know its a dns issue because the sites are being resolved to 192.x.x.x addresses for some weird. I have tried everything even connecting the router to a stand alone machine with a fresh install of XP, but still no avail. I have also restored factory settings and upgraded the firmware on the router. After spending multiple hours on the phone to tech support, I thought I'd give you guys a try.

Also I play games online, after I stop playing, I have no net access for about 5 mins, seems like the router is overheating?

Hope you can help, this is very frustrating. I am beginning to lose patience now.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

Liam Bradbury.
4 REPLIES
Lorian
Grafter

Re: Various Connection Problems

Hi Guys,

I can't access three websites (that I know of) unless I go through a public proxy. I know its a dns issue because the sites are being resolved to 192.x.x.x addresses for some weird.

Telling us the url of one or two of the websites, and what your dns servers are set to might help.

If using windows XP type ipconfig to get the dns servers or use winipcfg on win95/98 (in a command window).

Jc.

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Cleaned the quote tags]
N/A

If it is the same problem I had, it is the subnet mask setup on your router. if you have set it to 255.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 then this may be the problem 'cause it thinks that 192.*.*.* is on the local network.

try setting it to 255.255.255.255.

Hope this helps.

Bill
N/A

The subnet mask will not affect what addresses a DNS server sends.

That being said, I do have a couple of sugestions.

1: What DNS servers is your computer using?

For XP, use the status feature of the network card in the network properties window.

For 98, use "winipcfg" which is available by typing "winipcfg" in "Start -> Run".

2: Do you run Kazza Lite, or any adware, advert or popup blocking software?
N/A

If the DNS server correctly resolves an address to 192.*.*.* and the machine is incorrectly set up (e.g. the ip address is 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask for the public IP, not the computers IP of 255.0.0.0) the router will think that the address it is trying to look at is on the local network and will not look on the internet for it, hence no web page.

Bill.