cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN success?

N/A

VPN success?

Has any one with adsl account managed to get XP to create a VPN connection-when i try, the wizard gets so far into new connection then will not give me VPN option Evil
12 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

VPN success?

Hi,

I've moved this thread to the ADSL forum for you.

Can you tell us what ADSL connection equipment you have?

Regards,
bluewhale
Grafter

there's a winxp update to ipsec thats just been posted...

there's a winxp update to ipsec thats just been posted...

i'm not using winxp's vpn, but i noticed this update, supposed to help with NAT traversal
N/A

VPN success?

using dlink dsl-504 router, both ipsec and pptp are checked in ip masquerade
N/A

Re: VPN success?

I sometimes use my connection to access work via VPN, but the client for that is Intel NetStructure, not sure what VPN your client uses. Anyway, I have the plusnet router and I didn't need to change anything to get it to work.

Jon.
Mike_Grice
Grafter

VPN success?

Hi there,

Just to confirm "officially", we aren't doing anything to inhibit VPN this end. There's a thread on ADSLGuide regarding this, with a number of customers posting that they are successfully using VPN.

It could be the type of VPN you're using - there are several (using IPSec, PPTP), I'd suggest asking the person who runs the server if they have any experience setting it up over ADSL.
N/A

VPN success?

i use VPN to various companies for testing usually PPTP & have had no issues with the Plus Net connection on ADSL letting me do this.
N/A

VPN success?

I have also successfully setup VPN connections via ADSL through plusnet but using the SAR110 router.

The only thing I had to do in my router config was setup a basic NAT rule for connecting to the remote host, NAPT modifies the packet which looks like a tampered packet.

Darren.
N/A

VPN success?

OK so u dont all have a problem, but I do! Im wanting to know why?
N/A

VPN success?

Hi,

Have you tried consulting the solwise.co.uk forums? Although we can provide good basic support in getting this router up and running, Solwise are the best people to consult regarding the setup of their router for VPN applications.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

VPN success?

Coming at this from a different direction,...
Has any one with adsl account managed to get XP to create a VPN connection-when i try, the wizard gets so far into new connection then will not give me VPN option
... when you say "...will not give me VPN option", is the option grayed out or just missing from where you "know" it should be?

The way you describe it the VPN is a session between the XP host and the target box on your remote site. The router merely sees packets of data originating within its "private" network, and so allows the conversation to take place. I suspect that the problem lies within XP.

For your info, I have VPN successfully configured from both XP Pro and XP Home through a Solwise router which has a "vanilla" +Net configuration to an ISA Server host on my company's network. Apart from dropping occasionally ("it's a Microsoft thing...") it works fine.
N/A

VPN success?

What are you trying to connect to, i.e. VPN enabled router/firewall or Win2K/XP host.

Do you have an ADSL router or USB modem and what is the make and model ?

Have you applied any firewall rules to allow ipsec traffic through etc

Darren
N/A

VPN success?

Using DSL-504 router, ipsec & pptp masquerade are checked -
the help files and manuals from Dlink dont mention ipsec/pptp masquerade, but I am assuming that it allows direct access for vpn packets through the router- but I could be wrong!