cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN over ADSL

N/A

VPN over ADSL

Does anyone know if you can use VPN over plus net ADSL? Ive tried by had no success.

Thanks
Ben
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: VPN over ADSL

You would need a real addreess for the machine running VPN for it to work. If you have a single static IP and this is assigned to a router then you will be unlikely be able to set this up.

Kind regards

Kevin
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support ................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

RE: VPN over ADSL

> You would need a real addreess for the machine running VPN for it to work. If you have a single static IP and this is assigned to a router then you will be unlikely be able to set this up.
>

If, however you have a selection of external fixed i.p addresses (I apparently should have 4 when my account finally becomes active) and a dedicated machine for the VPN, is it then possible?

Daniel
--
-------------------
Daniel Rosewarne
inframes.com ltd

daniel@inframes.com

Publishers of
What The Papers Say
http://www.wtps.co.uk/
N/A

RE: VPN over ADSL

I use VPN over ADSL to connect to work, it has been working fine but now it kicks me off my connection every 63 minutes. But apart from that it works.



Does anyone know if you can use VPN over plus net ADSL? Ive tried by had no success.
>
> Thanks
> Ben


--
Vince Dunne
N/A

RE: VPN over ADSL

> I use VPN over ADSL to connect to work, it has been working fine but now it kicks me off my connection every 63 minutes. But apart from that it works.
>
>
>
> Does anyone know if you can use VPN over plus net ADSL? Ive tried by had no success.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ben
>
> i Also have a call outstanding with PlusNet to see why this keeps happening, as a person i work with has the same problem.
>
> --
> Vince Dunne


--
Vince Dunne
N/A

RE: VPN over ADSL

I use it no problem from work to home. As long as the tunnels are built correctly you shouldn't have any worries.
Angus
N/A

RE: VPN over ADSL

> > You would need a real addreess for the machine running VPN for it to work. If you have a single static IP and this is assigned to a router then you will be unlikely be able to set this up.
> >
>
> If, however you have a selection of external fixed i.p addresses (I apparently should have 4 when my account finally becomes active) and a dedicated machine for the VPN, is it then possible?

Don't think you will get 4 IP's you will be assigned 4 but you can only use 2!! Dont waste loads of time (like I did) trying to get the other 2 IP's working.

>
> Daniel
>
> --
> -------------------
> Daniel Rosewarne
> inframes.com ltd
>
> daniel@inframes.com
>
> Publishers of
> What The Papers Say
> http://www.wtps.co.uk/

I Use VPN from home to office and Office to Home and no Problems.
retrospek
Dabbler
Posts: 19
Registered: 15-08-2007

RE: VPN over ADSL

Hi Ben,

I use VPN for working from home occasionally and have no problems. I'm using the Nortel EAC client which uses the IPSec protocol (not that I fully understand what this means).

Don't forget that the router will need to support IPSec Passthru for this to work correctly.

My original router was a ASUS and I could not get it to work. So I then bought a Intertex IX66 (which is a great machine) and it worked first time.

As soon as I'm connected I can stay on the connection all day and don't get disconnected.

Cheers, Mark.
retrospek
Dabbler
Posts: 19
Registered: 15-08-2007

RE: VPN over ADSL

Hi Ben,

I use VPN for working from home occasionally and have no problems. I'm using the Nortel EAC client which uses the IPSec protocol (not that I fully understand what this means).

Don't forget that the router will need to support IPSec Passthru for this to work correctly.

My original router was a ASUS and I could not get it to work. So I then bought a Intertex IX66 (which is a great machine) and it worked first time.

As soon as I'm connected I can stay on the connection all day and don't get disconnected.

Cheers, Mark.
N/A

RE: VPN over ADSL

> > You would need a real addreess for the machine running VPN for it to work. If you have a single static IP and this is assigned to a router then you will be unlikely be able to set this up.

What's the point in having a router (in my case Netgear DG814 with IPSec passthrough) if it doesn't let you pass through? I have a static address via the DG814. Would it work if the Plusnet assigned IP address was dynamic?