cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN not supported on ANY homesurf accounts??

N/A

Hi,
I had recently advised a colleague of mine to sign up for a Plusnet BB+(2Meg) account, previously he was using 'Dial Up' and was experiencing very slow VPN connection.
I thought BB+ would be perfect, he wouldn't be using his connect much at all, and would only need to connect to work a few nights a week.
Since being connected he's complained of very poor performance, and constant timeouts.
It turns out that another colleague has a Plusnet account, BB premier(512kb) and he is experiencing the exact same symptoms.
I spoke to someone at plusnet, an it turns out that VPN isn't supported on any BB home packages.
Is anyone else able to use VPN with reasonable speeds on any plusnet BB home package?

There are other people within our company using other BB providers having no problems at all, Is this a plusnet feature, do I have to eat humble pie and tell my colleague that he has to change to a different BB provider? Shockedops:

Thanks

Darren.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

VPN is supported on ALL plusnet products so the info you got that said it was not was wrong.

Do you have a ticket number where this was stated so the agent can be 'educated'.

FYI: Homesurf is not the same as BB+. Homesurf is an old, no longer sold product that amoungst other things does not allow P2P or binary usenet access, but it did/does support VPN like all the others.
N/A

As peter says, VPN is supported on all PN accounts.

I often use my home Premier 2MB account to access my company VPN as do our co workers without difficulty.

Plus net will not recommend continual use of VPN's on home accounts as that could be classed as businesss use and would be more suited to one of the teleworker accounts.

But occasional use shouldnt present a problem.
N/A

It was raised in a conversation I had regarding another problem I was experiencing, not related to VPN.
The problem hasn't been reported by the users in question, I just wanted to check if what I was being told was valid.
I was told that if they wanted to use VPN then they would have to sign up for business accounts.
So just to confirm, they should be able to access VPN connections via there homesurf accounts, premier & BB+, without crippling speed restrictions (as long as the BB+ account is within the bandwidth restrictions)?

If this is the case then we can attempt to resolve the problem.
N/A

So just to confirm, they should be able to access VPN connections via there homesurf accounts, premier & BB+, without crippling speed restrictions

Yes that would be the case. As I said occasional use will not be a problem and shouldnt see restrictions on speed providing all usage policies and limits have not been exceeded.

If you still experience difficulties, post a couple of pings from across the tunnel and we may be able to see where the slow down is occurring.
N/A

Thanks for your reply,
We will begin to test what could be the cause of the connection problems.

Darren.
N/A

I have setup a VPN from home to the office. It times out after 5 minutes, every 5 minutes. I can connect from anywhere else in the world. I have tried a different router at home. As the problem is only when I use the Plusnet account I can only think that Plusnet are causing the problem. They say that there are no such time outs or restrictions on this account. Any ideas?
N/A

Hi there,

What the support have told you is correct. Nothing generic at the Plus Net end would cause this.

When the time out occurs do you get any error codes or messages. I would imagine it is a local issue either to do with the client or server.
N/A

it can't be the PC timing out as I have tried it at other locations. I changed the router and it didn't make a difference. The routers support LAN to LAN connections and these are dropped after 5mins as well. The internet connection is fine and is not dropped at all. As connections into the office aren't dropped from other locations it can't be the work router timing out.
I am completely stuck unless I can work out a solution I will have to move from Plusnet just to see if it is cured.