VPN grief over wireless router Linksys wag54g

Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

When I use my coy laptop to connect to office server I use a VPN pass through
{Contivity Client}.
On that we have to use Lotus Notes e mail, but problem also affects
attachments on webmail, whenever VPN is in operation.

Although I can receive e mails with attachments, I can't send e mails with attachments via the WAN. eg Lotus e mails or web mails.
Ones without are fine.

If I take out wireless pcmia card, and connect via cable to a lan port, the problem goes away, but is obviously more inflexible.

Linksys offered no suggestions, & I can see nothing in Linksys set up under security or wireless settings to adjust.
Any clues valued, have tweaked MTU to 1478 as someone suggested but makes no difference..
3 REPLIES
N/A

Sounds stupid I know, but when you connect via a VPN, depending on how the network you connect to is configured, you can be forced to use that networks web connection. (I have our corporate network configured that way, to ensure that traffic into our network comes through our firewall and virus scanner.
Suppose the network you connect to runs on ADSL also, this could effectively limit you to a 288k connection in some circumstances, so perhaps the length of time is takes make you think its not happening.
Also the network you connect to could have some setting configured which prevents you for some reason from doing as you try to do, eg blocking certain types of attachment. Does it prevent all attachments, or if you change the file extension can you get it through?
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10

Thanks for response.
I have a 1mb connection, hopefully going up to 2mb this month.
Symantec client firewall & Symantec AV s/w running.

Yes it rejects any attachment, regards sending, even a tiny 30kb one.
AS I said originally its fine if connected over LAN. It's just a pass through.
N/A

Looks like its a problem with the actual connection to your router then, rather than an issue related to the VPN.

You say you are running Symantec firewall, I'm not familiar with this, but if it works in a similar way to some other firewalls, you could end up with different firewall settings for each connection, so while the LAN connection allows you to do as you wish, the wireless one could be configured to prevent it?