cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN connection with PlusNet

N/A

VPN connection with PlusNet

I would like to know if anyone else has the same problem as me using VPN with PlusNet.

I joined PlusNet about three months ago and the service was fine , my Internet was super whippy and the VPN to my office was great. Then thing’s started to go wrong.
My Internet connect was still super whippy but my VPN started to disconnect every hour or so.( Bloody annoying).
This all started to happen as soon as PlusNet did there Network upgrade with the 155MB pipe.
I contacted PlusNet and they told me they do not disconnect users.
So off to my company to see if the problem was there, I check with the team and there were no errors on my companies side. So I contacted Dlink to see if the was an issue with the router I have( 504 ) , and they have no known issue’s of that type but they gave me a new firmware to try. I tried the new firmware with no success the connection still disconnected. So I went back to my company to seek more help, I made a couple of changes to my router as a test but everything I tried VPN still disconnects. I tried Idle time and Connection on demand all fail to resolve the issue.
I then brought my laptop into work and used BT OpenWorld ADSL connecting to my office using the same account and the connection stayed up for four hours plus until I disconnected it. So I then took it home and guess what ….. It disconnected every hour or so.
So back to PlusNet ( Third Call logged)
The second call was closed with some great advice ( we do not disconnect users try idle time and the call was closed ….Very helpful )

So I have logged another call and PlusNet just keep asking me the same questions as before .

So let me know if you have any ideas about his or if the same is happening to you.


--
Vince Dunne
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

I use VPN quite a lot to get from my office to home and visa-versa. My home connection disconnects about every two hours (not on ADSL Sad ), but other than that it stays up constantly.

What hardware are you using? when you tried it from openworld, were you still using the Dlink router?

Steve
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

> I use VPN quite a lot to get from my office to home and visa-versa. My home connection disconnects about every two hours (not on ADSL Sad ), but other than that it stays up constantly.
>
> What hardware are you using? when you tried it from openworld, were you still using the Dlink router?
>
> Steve

Steve the Dlink 504 Router has been tested at work going through Bt OpenWorld and this has worked fine.
The line is still connected and the session is running fine. :confused:





--
Vince Dunne
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

I am experiencing the same problem, but with a DSL-500 router. VPN works perfectly on BTOpenworld with the same router, but the router required a firmware upgrade to work on plusnet(previously did not work at all), and is dropping the VPN at random times between 5 and 60 minutes...
No joy from support
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

It's a strange one chaps, after reading the post this morning, I've done some more tests. I fired up an ADSL to ADSL VPN connection to one of our customers (both on PlusNet). Connection has been up for around 3 - 4 hours now and still going strong?!?

For your info I'm using Microsoft VPN Server (routing and remote access) both an XP and a 2000 Dial up client and an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem through a Smoothwall Firewall.

I have to admit, I'm finding some incompatibilities between DSLAM (exchange end) and certain makes of ADSL routers. There's no documented proof, but I'm getting more and more experience Cry.

If possible, get hold of a USB Fish, hook it up to plusnet and try the connection for a few hours, I suspect it will work faultlessly. It's one of those "No one is in the wrong, but it still doesn't work" issues.

Let me know if I can help at all, or how you get on.

Steve
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

> It's a strange one chaps, after reading the post this morning, I've done some more tests. I fired up an ADSL to ADSL VPN connection to one of our customers (both on PlusNet). Connection has been up for around 3 - 4 hours now and still going strong?!?
>
> For your info I'm using Microsoft VPN Server (routing and remote access) both an XP and a 2000 Dial up client and an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem through a Smoothwall Firewall.
>
> I have to admit, I'm finding some incompatibilities between DSLAM (exchange end) and certain makes of ADSL routers. There's no documented proof, but I'm getting more and more experience Cry.
>
> If possible, get hold of a USB Fish, hook it up to plusnet and try the connection for a few hours, I suspect it will work faultlessly. It's one of those "No one is in the wrong, but it still doesn't work" issues.
>
> Let me know if I can help at all, or how you get on.
>
> Steve

Thanks for the info but iam unable to use the USB fish as my company will only support the adsl VPN client with an ethernet presenece.This i why i had to buy a Router.I just cant see why i worked fine before but now it keeps disconnecting.My account has been up at work now for two hours using the Dlink 504 going through Bt openWorld.
I will keep the forum updated with any information i have and what i try.


--
Vince Dunne
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

We do not expect any problem at our side, but we will be running tests on the platform to ensure that none are present.

Kind regards

Kevin


--
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

> We do not expect any problem at our side, but we will be running tests on the platform to ensure that none are present.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Kevin
>
>
>
> --
> Thanks for the update, as i have said in other replies this worked fine before and my setup at home has not changed.only the firmware has been update but this happens on both versions.
Can PlusNet monitor traffic to my ip address and then we can arrange a time for me to use VPN and wait for it to disconnect.??


--
Vince Dunne
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

No problems on the info. What VPN Server are you using? are you creating a tunnel or client connection?

I'm just wondering if there's any way around this or any changes that can be made to rectify it. As I said, I've now got two adsl connections using fish (and 3 beta testing using Cisco Routers) which have been up for about 5 hours now (2 on the cisco's)

could it be a latency issue causing a time out? have you tried setting up a ping -t, log the results to a file, and when the connection drops, have a look at the last two entries in the file and see if there's high lag on it.

Just a thought

Steve
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

> No problems on the info. What VPN Server are you using? are you creating a tunnel or client connection?
>
> I'm just wondering if there's any way around this or any changes that can be made to rectify it. As I said, I've now got two adsl connections using fish (and 3 beta testing using Cisco Routers) which have been up for about 5 hours now (2 on the cisco's)
>
> could it be a latency issue causing a time out? have you tried setting up a ping -t, log the results to a file, and when the connection drops, have a look at the last two entries in the file and see if there's high lag on it.
>
> Just a thought
>
> Steve

There are a few issues doing things on my home PC that connects to work at it is very well locked down.I think we create a tunnel as all ip traffic is dropped apart from DHCP.I'm sure a tunnel is created, i have tried the ping test alredy but as drop all is set for the Nokia VPN client to work it all comes back reqest time out.The VPN server is a Nokia CryptoCluster. My test has just finish from the office and everything worked fine but i know when i go home this will fail.Fingers crossed.


--
Vince Dunne
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

Dave/Vince,

I will be running a test with an Alcatel SpeedTouch PRO from home tonight to see if the session disconnects after an hour or so. I have seen disconnections but always assumed it was the laptop that was faulty.

I will post results back here tomorrow.

NB: I did experience weird disconnect problems until I opened up ports 500 and 50 on both TCP and UDP via the NAT config.

Ian
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

> Dave/Vince,
>
> I will be running a test with an Alcatel SpeedTouch PRO from home tonight to see if the session disconnects after an hour or so. I have seen disconnections but always assumed it was the laptop that was faulty.
>
> I will post results back here tomorrow.
>
> NB: I did experience weird disconnect problems until I opened up ports 500 and 50 on both TCP and UDP via the NAT config.
>
> Ian

I would like to inform everyone that PusNet is going to resolve the issue with the VPN Disconnection with work on their core routers.
I would like to thank PlusNet for their work on this matter after it was published in this forum.
Thank you PlusNet for Hopefully fixing this.

Ian/Dave yipeee this should soon be fixed....


--
Vince Dunne
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

> > Dave/Vince,
> >
> > I will be running a test with an Alcatel SpeedTouch PRO from home tonight to see if the session disconnects after an hour or so. I have seen disconnections but always assumed it was the laptop that was faulty.
> >
> > I will post results back here tomorrow.
> >
> > NB: I did experience weird disconnect problems until I opened up ports 500 and 50 on both TCP and UDP via the NAT config.
> >
> > Ian
>
> I would like to inform everyone that PusNet is going to resolve the issue with the VPN Disconnection with work on their core routers.
> I would like to thank PlusNet for their work on this matter after it was published in this forum.
> Thank you PlusNet for Hopefully fixing this.
>
> Ian/Dave yipeee this should soon be fixed....
>
Any updates on this Vince? How's the holiday?

Ian
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

> > > Dave/Vince,
> > >
> > > I will be running a test with an Alcatel SpeedTouch PRO from home tonight to see if the session disconnects after an hour or so. I have seen disconnections but always assumed it was the laptop that was faulty.
> > >
> > > I will post results back here tomorrow.
> > >
> > > NB: I did experience weird disconnect problems until I opened up ports 500 and 50 on both TCP and UDP via the NAT config.
> > >
> > > Ian

Ian , Plusnet have held off on this upgrade of their core routers for a week due to some tech problem.They have said they will keep me informed when they plan to do the work again.
Im on a course this week and it is going fine , i will see you on Monday how is everything in work.?
> >
> > I would like to inform everyone that PusNet is going to resolve the issue with the VPN Disconnection with work on their core routers.
> > I would like to thank PlusNet for their work on this matter after it was published in this forum.
> > Thank you PlusNet for Hopefully fixing this.
> >
> > Ian/Dave yipeee this should soon be fixed....
> >
> Any updates on this Vince? How's the holiday?
>
> Ian


--
Vince Dunne
N/A

RE: VPN connection with PlusNet

> > > > Dave/Vince,
> > > >
> > > > I will be running a test with an Alcatel SpeedTouch PRO from home tonight to see if the session disconnects after an hour or so. I have seen disconnections but always assumed it was the laptop that was faulty.
> > > >
> > > > I will post results back here tomorrow.
> > > >
> > > > NB: I did experience weird disconnect problems until I opened up ports 500 and 50 on both TCP and UDP via the NAT config.
> > > >
> > > > Ian
>
> Ian , Plusnet have held off on this upgrade of their core routers for a week due to some tech problem.They have said they will keep me informed when they plan to do the work again.
> Im on a course this week and it is going fine , i will see you on Monday how is everything in work.?
> > >
> > > I would like to inform everyone that PusNet is going to resolve the issue with the VPN Disconnection with work on their core routers.
> > > I would like to thank PlusNet for their work on this matter after it was published in this forum.
> > > Thank you PlusNet for Hopefully fixing this.
> > >
> > > Ian/Dave yipeee this should soon be fixed....
> > >
> > Any updates on this Vince? How's the holiday?
> >


This has still not been fixed, any ETA Plusnet as this is getting very annoying now?

I logged a ticket 7 hours ago about this reference is 5135866 but noone has picked this ticket up yet!!!

Ian Biondani (userid blobster)