cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN access and Home Surf

N/A

VPN access and Home Surf

I have just got my Home Surf ADSL connection activated and have got anything working ok with a netgear 814. The problem i have is with my VPN access to work. I have enabled port forwarding in the router PPTP port 1723 but this still doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me whether this is related to Home Surf account. Is this port blocked and do i need to upgrade to the normal adsl account.

Thanks

Paul
4 REPLIES
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

VPN access and Home Surf

Home Surf is fine for VPN. Unless your firewall software is different, the default setting is generally to allow all outgoing traffic, and accept responses only from those outbound requests. To prove this (to myself) I have just initiated a workstation-based VPN conneciton to my office, and my firewall reports a request from port 1741 to port 1723.

Are you using VPN on your workstation, or via your router?
N/A

VPN

I am using VPN from my WIN XP Laptop.

If i connect using my dail up account it works ok so i figure it must be something to do with the ADSL account or router

Thanks

Paul
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

VPN access and Home Surf

Does it regularly disconnect, or never get through in the first place? Does it disconnect after 59 seconds? If so, there is an XP patch to work around this. Try searching the Microsoft kbase.

I use a GPRS card from my laptop when I'm on the road. This disconnects every 6-10Mb, then re-connects (as configured). Clearly this only happens now and again at 48kb/s, when syncing Outlook and Notes.

I find that from my DSL account, at 512k, the disconnections are more frequent, and occasionally after less data. This is aggrevated by, what appears to be, "dead" sessions on the VPN server, clogging up its capacity, and blocking me out for anything up to 2 hours. Re-booting the VPN server clears out the dead sessions, but this is a bit drastic on a shared resource.

It is probably a WinXP/ISA Server problem in my case.

Hope this helps :?
N/A

VPN access and Home Surf

It Never connects.

If i try to ping the vpn server all i get is Negotiating IP Security and then it fails.