cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN /Remote Desktop issues

N/A

I wonder if anyone can help. I am having issues getting a workable connection over Remote Desktop to my office. I know that the office end is working and is in place as I can connect succesfully using a dialup connection but when I am using the Broadband connection via my wireless network (using Netgear products) I am having issues.

The VPN connection is enabled correctly and when I make the remote desktop connection through to the office I can log on and see the desktop but when I select any icons or try and do anything I get some kind of network disconnect icon flash up on on the remote desktop connection. I am not however thrown out of the connection.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this before.

I haven't done any configuration to try and get this to work as I didn't want to break anything on the internet connection.

Any help much appreciated.
3 REPLIES
N/A

You dont ned to use vpn to be able to use RD it works better just going straight in to the RD.

Problem happen via vpn because your pc doesnt know the names and ip of the pcs at work as they are on a different range. You dont say how you connect via vpn? At the work end you could connect to a pc a server or a Cisco vpn unit all of which make a differance
N/A

Thanks for replying.

I use SonicWall (VPN) to get a connection through to the office (which connects succesfully).

So I am assuming that in effect the VPN connection means that I am then on the office network. I then enter the IP address of the machine I want to connect to at the office into RD and it seems to connect and displays the desktop correctly but after a very short period of time the connection seems to drop.

any further help much appreciated
N/A

which connection drops the vpn or RD? Do you get any errors in the event log on either pc? It could be that you have exceeded the tcip connection. I have a fix on my site for that www.janwright.co.uk/tcip.zip you would need to apply it to both pc's. You would get an Event ID 4226 error in the logs.

I found this work around but its for the server but it may give you somthing to work on

In the registry at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server, create or edit the DWORD value of KeepAliveEnable and set it to 1. This will turn Keep Alives on. This will serve to stabilize the connection by sending 'heartbeat' packets to the client every so often. This will cause an idle connection to be probed every so often just to be sure that the connection is still alive and that the client is still listening on the other side. This will also help prevent disconnects by preventing network devices from killing off sockets that it assumes to be idle. Because terminal services is such a low bandwidth protocol, when a user is idle, no network activity will occur. Some network devices will interpret a connection that is in the idle state for an extended period of time to be a dead connection, and thus will terminate the socket. However, when the user comes out of the idle state, the terminal services client can no longer contact the terminal server because the socket is dead. By turning on Keep Alives, the connection will not appear idle, and therefore the network device will not attempt to terminate the socket.