cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Connection

N/A

VPN Connection

Hi Everyone.

I have a wireless router connetced to my plusnet broadband internet line (2mb).

I use 'VPN' to access my network at work. However i am experiencing connection problems, as follows;

When the VPN is connected i get the symbol in the system tray (bottom of screen), however often there is no activity on the 'received' end of the connection. When i attempt to then open up MS outlook to view my work emails, it fails to connect.

Having spoken to the IT dept at work they inform me it is probably an issue with my internet service provider, with restrictions on VPN access.

Can anyone help me out on this matter ?

Regards
Andy
8 REPLIES
N/A

VPN Connection

Hi Andy.

Its not down to any restrictions in place with Plus net.

My company and some of my clients use VPN over PN connections everyday and have done for some time with no issues.

I'd fire it back to your support team for them to look at. Its either your end or theirs but deffo not PN's.
N/A

VPN Connection

Normally the problem is you have connected to your works network fine but your pc has no idea of any of the works network as its not in dns being local to work.

When you try to get anything to work you need to know the ip address and it should then work. So you cant connect to worksexchange.com for emails as you dont have a dns record for it if you change it to the ip it should then find it.
N/A

VPN Connection

Thanks for your replys

It could be my router ?

I shall check this out also.
N/A

VPN Connection

Out of interest which VPN client are you using? If not setup correctly you will get the exact symptoms you describe. Is it set to use the correct protocols? most routers contain stateful firewalls, so as long as you are able to initiate the connection there should be no other issues.
N/A

VPN Connection

Out of interest which VPN client are you using? If not setup correctly you will get the exact symptoms you describe. Is it set to use the correct protocols? most routers contain stateful firewalls, so as long as you are able to initiate the connection there should be no other issues.

Chuffbears, i do not know, please can you explain what you mean by VPN client.

Regards
Andy
N/A

VPN Connection

Hi there,

Other than the standard Windows VPN client there are other clients, from Netgear, Cisco and others which offer true VPN services.

How do you initialise your VPN connection?
oliverb
Grafter

VPN Connection

FWIW I'm using Windows PPTP and I find that when connected I cannot see the office "network neighbourhood" or access computers by name. I've manually added an entry to the "lmhosts" file so our server is accessable by name.
N/A

VPN Connection

Hi there,

Other than the standard Windows VPN client there are other clients, from Netgear, Cisco and others which offer true VPN services.

How do you initialise your VPN connection?

I use the standard winXp VPN connection