Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using two computers

Mark64uk
Grafter

Using two computers

Ok heres my problem

Im running a netgear DG834 (I think thats the model lol) anyways the computer downstairs the secondary computer seems to have problems running the internet, pages take ages to load and dont load at all in some cases als0 when you do get onto a page and try downloading you get speeds of 2 kbps.Now im not very good at this netowkring so im guessing that ive set something up wrong , althought i did find a good tutorial that someone posted on here and ive followed that. I was previously on wanadoo and i never seem to suffer from that problem before.

Any ideas

Mark
12 REPLIES
hillers
Grafter

Using two computers

Have you tried moving the computer downstairs closer as it could be a weak signal causing the trouble (if you using wireless). It might be that you need a signal booster.
Mark64uk
Grafter

Using two computers

Its a Wired Network Cheesy Thanks for the sugestion thought

Mark
N/A

cabling distance?

Hi Mark,

have you checked to make sure your second machine is within the cabling distance limits? Are you using CAT5 cables? or some other kind of cabling.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Mark64uk
Grafter

Using two computers

Netowrking wise i think everythings ok as i ran this network on wanadoo for 12 months with no problems i migrated to PN last week and have only just noticed this on the other computer yesterday. Im no used to setting up the router with a static IP ad manually putting in the DNS servers it could be some conflict there ?

Mark
N/A

Using two computers

You could try swapping network cables to eliminate that as an issue?

Also try pinging the other machine or router to establish the quality of the connection.

Click on Start go to run, type CMD

You will get a command prompt

C:\Documents and Settings\blah blah blah>

Type:

ping <hostname/IP Adress> -t

So for my router I type

ping 192.168.1.1 -t

and get the results:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255

(Press Control+C to stop pinging)

The reply shows everything is hunkydory and the time of less than 1ms shows a very fast connection.

If you got

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

This means there is no conection present at all

If you were to get something more like

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time 140ms TTL=255
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time 165ms TTL=255
Request timed out.

Then this shows an intermittant problem. The best thing to do is leave the ping running for a while perhaps even while you swap cables etc.

If this testing shows positive results then the problem lies in a more specific area. Next I would consider the possibility of a problem with the connection. If this reveals nothing then it could be a more serious and deep reouted problem relating to nework bindings? port restrictions? router hardware? insert vague solution here basically!
Mark64uk
Grafter

Using two computers

Everything is pinging correctly ?

Now i have been reading around on the forum and found a flash demo on netoworking and ive set up the tcp/IP up now weather i have done it correctly i dont know but i have set the ips up

Router IP

My computer

Downstairs

The thing that confused me was the Default Gateway i set this to my Router IP it also asks me to manull enter the DNS servers ?

Mark
N/A

Using two computers

The gateway IP for your CLIENT should be the router IP (192.168.0.1).

The DNS servers if required could either be set to the router also (this should forward unresolved requests to it's dynamically obtained list of plus.net DNS servers) or you can use

which are plus.net DNS servers

Find out if your router can act as a DHCP server. If it can and you enable this option, you can leave all IP settings on your clients to the 'obtain IP address automatically' option and this will configure the settings for you.

PLEASE NOTE the ROUTER default gateway is a totally different matter. On most occasions this will be dynamically obtained and set by the router. In short - if you leave this bit alone it should work!
Mark64uk
Grafter

Using two computers

THe router is running as a DHCP server but im still getting sub 56k speeds lol Also they wont actully network using the windows netowork wizard which i could previoulsy do.The only thing i can see wrong was a severe kink in one of the network cables im wondering if there are any broken or interfering wires

Mark
N/A

Using two computers

You have told us your ip but not the subnet, what did you put down as a subnet? It should be the same for all pc's. ie 255.255.255.0

Does the slow pc show connected at 10 meg or 100 meg?

What firewalls and AV are you running? It could be the cable if its near any mains or too many kinks. Is it slow using everything or just surfing? Can you copy a file from 1 pc to the other if so at whats speed.

Can you use ftp or newsgroups at normal speed?
Mark64uk
Grafter

Using two computers

I havnt set a subnet as ive got it all set up to obtain automatically.

Regards what the comp is connected at im unsure but i will check tommrow.

Firewalls and AV arnt on yet both are running clean installs of xp.The slowness is everything browsing and file sharing looking at the files on the computer is even slower than web surfing.

I will try the file transfer tommrow.

Another thing in the network connections i have noticed a bridge option in there where you can bridge connections or un bridge them would this effect anything ?

Mark
N/A

Using two computers

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with the TCP/IP configuration of your machines, the fact that you are getting SOME connection tells me this. If your computers could not communicate you would get nothing. IP Bridging is irrelevant to your problem and wouldn't affect it.

It sounds like you have a LAN problem here not an ADSL problem. You need to get to the bottom of why when one pc connects to another pc the speeds are very slow.

My advice would be that the first thing you should do is buy a couple more CAT5 cables and eliminate that first as the kink you describe could have damaged the insulation between the copper wires.

If you can eliminate the CAT5 issue, I would begin to consider other things ie. update NIC drivers, or replace NIC altogether.

Let me know how you get on.
N/A

Using two computers

Hope the flash one helped Wink

If i were you i would set the ping to go on for at least a day, on both computers, wihtout firewalls on (including the MS one) and be offline. See what happens

ping -t the_other_box > c:\log.txt

to output the ping to log.txt then read threw it to see if any packets were being dropped. Also play wiht the wire while doing it. like jiggle itu p and down to see if this effects the connection (if it does it means the wire is borked).

Also if u can, set up an FTP (www.guildftpd.com) and transfer a few large files accross the network to check if it can handle the load. If not I would sugest looking into updating your network card drivers.

Try connecting the PC that works ok to the port on the router where the one that does not work well is located to see if its an issue with the sockets on the router its self (if it is, see if you can get a replacment)