cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using two computers on one Broadband connection

N/A

I am currently a broadband user and have a Binatone Broadband Modem + software as supplied by Plusnet.
I now have two computers side by side and want to use both machines (broadband) with my existing connection at the same time.

Is there a simple way of doing this e.g can I just use a double USB connector?

All replies appreciated.

Chriß
11 REPLIES
pentel

looks like time to buy a router
N/A

Hi,

So is that something I plug into my modem or is it a new type of modem?

Chriß
N/A

I used to put my second computer thru my main computer using an ethernet cable to get internet on both but now have a router.
Community Veteran

The router replaces your current modem.

You need something like the netgear DG834 which has an in-built ADSL modem but also has a 4 port switch which allows you to plug multiple PCs into it and use the internet connection at the same time.

Each PC requres a network card (many current PCs come with one on the motherboard) and the necessary cat5e network cable which you can get from any computer shop.

There are ways to use your current setup using netwrk cards, cables and ICS (Internet connection sharing) software that comes with Windows but it is not recommended as it requires your main PC to be on when the other needs the internet and it is not very reliable.
N/A

Router

If you get something like a Netgear DG834G or better, and go wireless your friends can connect that way, but be careful that no unwanted surfers join in. I had my old i mac and new i mac G5 connected at the same time with the ethernet cable. That's they way to go I'm afraid.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

But if you want a cheaper one you could try a Speedtouch 536 which has a network connection and a usb connection.
Useful if both your computers don't have network cards
N/A

There certainly seems to be plenty of advice out there, thanks everyone for your contributions.

To sum up it appears that (if I read all this correct)
1). I need to purchase a router, say an Netgear DG834G which has 4 ports.
2). I also need to purchase two connector cables to connect from Router to Computer(s).

Then it becomes a bit hazy.

3).I need to install a network card in my desktop. (Is this a PCI card?).
I need to buy a network card for my Laptop.

4). Question
By this time it seems as if I would be connected by wireless, is this true?

5). If I am connected by wireless then do I need to purchase two connector cables (item 2)?

Whilst awaiting a reply I will search out the info on Speedtouch 536.

Am not too concerned about price. I just want something that works well.

Thanks everyone,

Chriß
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Most routers come with at least some of the cables.
From memory the Speedtoch has a usb and a network cable.
Suggest you check what is already on your computers.
Unless they are very old I would be surprised if one of them at least doesn't already have a network connector built in to the motherboard.
If the laptop has wireless capability there would definitely be an advantage in looking at that so that you can move the laptop to another room and retain network/internet access.
Note that adding a network card or a wireless card to the laptop will probably be difficult
If you do need to add a card this would go into the pci slot.
N/A

router

I had my new mac connected wirelessly, and my old mac with the ethernet cable as it had no wireless capability. My visitors just get their wireless laptops out and go on line anywhere in my house, brilliiant!
waldron
Grafter

Re: Using two computers on one Broadband connection

I now have two computers side by side and want to use both machines (broadband) with my existing connection at the same time.

Is there a simple way of doing this e.g can I just use a double USB connector?

You asked for a simple solution - surely that would be to connect the second pc to the first via an ethernet cable, then use the internet wizard to specify that one pc connects to the internet via the other.
You would need an ethernet card in each one and a cable to connect them. But you would need that for the router solution as well.
N/A

As the previous poster said u could use internet connection sharing, which is build into widows xp, just connect both Pc's together using network cards and a crossover cable and then run the wizard in windows and your are done.

Downside to this is that the sharing PC has to be running before the other PC can connect to the internet.

I ran this system for the last 5 years with 5 pc's shaing an internet connection, until I recently bought a router