cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using modem/router for WidowsXp and Linux

dmhome
Grafter

I have read through previous discussions about USB modems and Linux. I am trying to use a set-up where my PC(running XP) and my laptop(running Linux) are using the same modem. Firstly, is it possible to have Windows and Linnux connecting through the same modem/router ? If it is possible, it appears that using a router is the best option, is this still correct?
I found that when using my PC(Windows XP) through the router I appeared to have more problems (speed/broken connections) than when using the ADSL modem. This is why I would rather use the ADSL modem if possible.
6 REPLIES
Highlighted
N/A

A router in theory would be the better solution, what router have you been using? what problems have you been getting?

Aaron
dmhome
Grafter

Thank you for your reply.

I have a D-Link DSL - 504. When using with Windows XP I found that
logging onto sites could be very slow and in fact I could not log on to many sites. However when I reverted back to using the Binatone ADSL 500 the problems I was having with the router disappeared. I have stayed with the modem until now, but would like to link in my laptop running Linux. As the modem is running ok I was hoping to use this.
Community Veteran

I have used a D-Link DSL504 for a couple of years now and have both windows 98 and XP machines connected to it.
All work fine with no slowdowns at all, so I suspect it is some sort of problem with your XP networking that is causing your trouble.
N/A

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network/network.htm

for a nice tutorial on how to set up your network Wink

PS do you have the XP firewall on, cos if so turn it off
dmhome
Grafter

Thank you for replies.
buzzons, the tutorial you directed me to was excellent.
N/A

why thank you Smiley