cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using domain for ADSL host name

N/A

Hi,

I have a .co.uk domain hosted with plus.net that I would like to use with my ADSL connection.

I understand how to set it up so that www.mydomain.co.uk points to my static IP using the 'I wish to specify DNS records for hosts under this domain' option.

i.e.
Left field: www
Type: a
Pri: blank
Right field: <my IP>

However, is it possible for me to use the domain as my default hostname. i.e. when I connect to IRC, my host name is displayed as myusername.plus.com - is it possible to get this to be something.mydomain.co.uk instead?

Apologies if this isn't too clear - I probably haven't worded it too well, but any help/advice appreciated.

William.
15 REPLIES
N/A

Yes.

To my understanding, this can be changed to 1 of three things.

1: Reverse DNS removed.

2: Pointing to <username>.plus.com

3: A host under your +Net hosted domain name (must be hosted by +Net).

Use the link:contact us system, and request that your reverse DNS on your static IP be changed.
N/A

Edit: I was wrong. Heh.
N/A

Thanks acarr.

I have raised a ticket for this as you suggested (and it's been replied to already!)

I have another quick query that I'd be very grateful for a response to if you wouldn't mind.

I am hosting a web server on my static IP. I have done this using my router's 'virtual servers' feature.. i.e. all incoming port 80 traffic is directed to my PC's internal IP address on port 80 (where apache is running). I've got someone to try accessing http://<my IP> and they get my apache server OK. However, if I try accessing http://<my IP>, I am unable to connect. My router manufacturer has advised that this is to be expected, as I am behind my router. Does this sound correct as far as you are aware?

Many thanks in advance.

William.
Ianwild
Grafter

Yes William, that is correct... Most likely, typing your own IP address in would result in you getting the routers own admin pages (That's what happens on mine).

Regards,
Community Veteran

Yes the router's admin page will be default locally as it's actually the router's IP address. Try setting apache to run on a different port i.e. 8080 (and changing the router config) just to test it.

If you try accessing it via your local IP address i.e. the one you have setup in port forwarding and it works, then you can be confident everything is ok. Do this while its set to the default port 80.

Chris
N/A

Excellent - thanks both.

Much appreciated.

William.
N/A

With regards to my request for my rdns to be changed, my ticket has been assigned to the 'network support department for advisement'.

I presume that they do not work on a Sunday?

Also, once the change has been made, how long should it take to become active?

Thanks,

William.
Community Veteran

No they dont work weekends (except for emergancy callouts). AFAIK it should work more or less instantly once it has been applied.

Chris
plusnetsux
Grafter

For your hostname to be shown on irc, it needs to resolve forwards and reverse. So you'll need to add a forward entry for your domain as follows:

Left field: yourdomain.co.uk. <--- (full stop at the end)
Type: A
Right field: Your IP

This will make it fully qualified (when youre rDNS has been changed too) and so will show up on IRC.
N/A

Thanks - I've just done that - and support have advised my rdns change should be complete in the morning.

William.
N/A

atpowell2002,

The rdns change is now active, but my IP address is now shown in an IRC whois lookup.

If I /dns <my IP>, it resolves to my hostname. However, /dns <my hostname> is unable to be resolved.

Do you think the forward entry I've added is not yet active? It's just I thought it would have by now (approx 26hrs).

Many thanks,

William.
N/A

There may be a problem with what you have added.

It can take upto 48 hours for it to be reflected around the internet, however, you shoul,d be able to resolve it by now.

I would sugest clearing your DNS cache (reboot is the simplest way) and try again.
benoh
Grafter

William, I cant see any entries in your domain configuration for the rDNS hostname you requested, Ive added it in and it will reload in the next hour (48 hours to propogate the internet)
N/A

Thanks for that Ben... much appreciated.

William.