cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using another ISP address

N/A

I have just switched to Broadband from dial up Virgin. I want to keep my Virgin e-mail addresses and I have gone on the Virgin website to re-direct messages to Plusnet. However I now appear to have difficulty in sending e-mails via these addresses in Virgin. What can I do to over come this.

Additionally I want to keep the Virgin account open to retain my addresses and I know that I need to keep it active. How do I do this without dial up.
6 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

You may need to change your outgoing mailserver for the Virgin address to relay.plus.net - so that mail is routed over PlusNet's email platform.
pcorker
Grafter

Is the email problem that virgin won't relay emails you send from plusnet composed with a virgin from: address?
o2 used to let me relay from freeserve but won't let me relay from plusnet. Maybe they don't like plusnet or perhaps they changed their policy recently.

I think you will still have to dial up every so often using Virgin's account to keep it open. That's free, apart from a brief local phone call, isn't it?
Pat
pcorker
Grafter

PS I just checked and I can send from Plusnet with an o2 "From:" using web mail but can't using OE
Pat
Community Veteran

There should not be any difference as both go through PlusNets SMTP server. The from address makes no real difference when sending email as it is not used - apart from the syntax of it being checked.

I would check your settings is OE as it should be able to send through relay.plus.net.
pcorker
Grafter

Apologies to Original Poster for pushing in.
Apologies to petervaughan for making you repeat yourself.

I had thought the "From:" somehow decided whose server it went through. (I thought both when relaying...)

I have changed my OE settings

Curious that Freeserve did not need this change (and probably neither did Virgin)

Pat.
N/A

Thanks for the advice. By changing the outgoing server to relay.plus.net I have solved the problem.

I was also a bit concerned that I could not have both ADSL and dial up available for use but this would appear not to be the case. I will dial up my original ISP monthly to ensure that it remains operational. Cheesy