cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using FTP kills my connection

N/A

At the moment if I try and download anything using FTP, I'm unable to do anything else with my internet connection until the download completes - webpages time out during loading etc. As soon as the FTP download completes, the connection goes back to normal.

Is anyone else seeing this? I'm on Broadband Plus and I think I'm probably on LLU as I also use PlusNet's phone service. On grc.com I show up as ...pte-ag2.dyn.plus.net.

I'm also well within my peak time bandwidth usage, as shown in "Connection Settings" in the Member Centre.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

thanks,

Andy
2 REPLIES
N/A

If FTP'ing a large file, I'd expect it to slow down a lot, but still be able to surf the web (albeit it a lot slower). Probably a problem with your router/modem - what are you connecting with?
N/A

Generally they tend to be large-ish files - 30MB plus. The weird thing is, most of the time, the files are only coming in at 25kB/s, whereas my connection is usually good for over 250kB/s.

Normally I can continue to surf the web when downloading without any problems, especially if I use the bandwidth limiting feature of my download manager.

I've seen this sort of behaviour before with P2P - if I use P2P my connection becomes unusable for anything else. Almost as soon as I switch off P2P the connection goes back to normal. I have not seen this behaviour with FTP until very recently however.

I'm connecting to PlusNet via a Linksys WAG-54GS broadband modem/wireless router. Previously I've used a cheap-and-nasty solwise modem (as provided by PlusNet - go figure!) with similar results.

thanks,

Andy