cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ADSL on home network

N/A

I have an ADSL connection using an ADSL ATM USB modem and three networked computers using a hub. All works well (and has done for 12+ months), except that the two computers other than the 'main' one (the one that has the hub and modem attached) cannot access certain web sites (e.g. Google).

Bright ideas anyone :?:
10 REPLIES
N/A

Have they al got the same DNS settings? I would guess they are not resolving some sites, to check enter the ip address of the sites you cant get to and see if they can get to it then. If they can then its dns somwere.

if you open a command prompt and ping www.google.com it will give you the ip address
N/A

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I succesfully 'pinged' www.google.com, but still couldn't get to the site by entering the IP address.

Does eliminating that help or hinder?
N/A

What software are you using to share connection?

On top, do you have any IDS (intrusion detection system) enabled on eny of the computers?
N/A

Err!

The connection is being shared through Windows (2000) on the 'main' PC.

A Norton Internet Security firewall is running on the main PC; one of the others is running Windows XP with its Firewall.

Not sure that's what you wanted to know!
N/A

Sounds like you have the same problem as I have had.

Can you "see" all the pcin the local network?
if not then the firewall is blocking the data sent from each pc.
make sure that the firewall has an entry allowing a range of ip addresses for your network.

hope that makes sense!
N/A

Yes, all the PCs can be 'seen' and can communicate with each other, just not with certain internet sites.

Weird, huh?
N/A

one thing to try is that all the other pcs have an entry for DNS

(the same as the main pcs settings!)

I would have a look at each of the pcs firewall settings and chaeck that there is andentry to allow the DNS address!
N/A

Nothing to do with dns. If he can ping the url, then he is resolving dns. If he can't browse to the site by ip address, then that also rules out dns - since that wouldn't require dns resolution. Seeing as he has a route (given that he can ping the address), then that would seem to point to the firewall. Simple solution... right click on the norton icon in the system tray, and I believe it should give you a 'disable' option. If you can reach the site with norton disabled, then you've found the culprit.

And 'intrusion detection system'!!!! Nice bit of jargonising!
N/A

Pinging an address sucesfully is a lot different to pinging the correct address sucesfully.

What address does it say you are pinging when performing this on google.com
N/A

I've tried disabling the Norton Firewall, but that doesn't make a jot of difference.

When I 'ping' www.google.co.uk it tells me that I've sucessfully 'pinged' www.google.com.