cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ADSL account away from home.

N/A

I have had PlusNet adsl at home for a month now and am very pleased with the service. Smiley
However, as i work away from home a lot, i rent a flat.
I am trying to understand the "Adding a new CLI" number in the hope that i could use the line in the flat for adsl access.

I have read in a previous posting ...
You can not use an ADSL account from another location unless:
1. It already has ADSL enabled on the line, and
2. The line has ADSL through the same provider using the same realm (eg @plusdsl.net)

I believe Item 2 is a matter of luck whether the exchange happens to have another user with the same provider and so is in the lap of the gods.
I'm also pretty certain that the line in the flat has never been adsl enabled.

But, assuming i strike it lucky with Item 2....
1. Is it ok for me to access the internet with my existing adsl account in the flat?
2. Who would i contact and how would i go about enabling the line in the flat?
3. What are cost implications of enabling the line?
3. Is simultaneous access by me at the flat and my daughter from home using the same adsl account allowed?

If i don't strike it lucky with adsl in the flat...
is there a dial-up number i can use for unmetered access using a 56k modem using the same account?

Thanks for your help.
6 REPLIES
glyndev
Grafter

Re: Using ADSL account away from home.

I have read in a previous posting ...
You can not use an ADSL account from another location unless:
1. It already has ADSL enabled on the line, and
2. The line has ADSL through the same provider using the same realm (eg @plusdsl.net)

I believe Item 2 is a matter of luck whether the exchange happens to have another user with the same provider and so is in the lap of the gods.
I'm also pretty certain that the line in the flat has never been adsl enabled.

Item 2 is nothing to do with the exchange having someone elso that uses +net.
What it means is that in order to access your own account at +net the telephone line in the flat must have ADSL activated on it and the isp that the ADSL points to must be with plusnet the same as you.

But, assuming i strike it lucky with Item 2....
1. Is it ok for me to access the internet with my existing adsl account in the flat?
2. Who would i contact and how would i go about enabling the line in the flat?
3. What are cost implications of enabling the line?
3. Is simultaneous access by me at the flat and my daughter from home using the same adsl account allowed?.

1. Yes but only if my previous point is met, and only if no one is logged into the same account at the same time.

2. Order online as a new account (using yourself as the refferer) or by telephone to customer support.

3. Same costs as setting up ADSL on your home phone line

Second No'3. NO. You would have to use one account in the flat and your daughter the other account at home

If i don't strike it lucky with adsl in the flat...
is there a dial-up number i can use for unmetered access using a 56k modem using the same account?

0845 1400101 BUT you would not be able to have simultaneous access with your daughter. The best option here would be to sign up to a FREE pay as you go account which would still allow you to access your e mail on your main account..
N/A

0845 1400101 BUT you would not be able to have simultaneous access with your daughter

So if you use the tel no 0845 1400101 and your [adsl] account name and password you'd have free [all-be-it single connection at a time] dial up accessHuh

Sorry I'm new and didn't know this
Community Veteran

No.

56K modem dialup access is not free, you pay normal charges for the 0845 call and you must not have your ADSL connection active at the time. This is because you will be allocated your static IP address when you use your ADSL login/pass (it is tied to your login name) and there cannot be 2 connections with the same IP address active at the same time.
csogilvie
Grafter

there cannot be 2 connections with the same IP address active at the same time.

There can be, thats why this is a problem. You can connect, and surf etc. and not realise anything is wrong. This happened to me (and is how i found an error on Free-Online)
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: Using ADSL account away from home.

Item 2 is nothing to do with the exchange having someone elso that uses +net.
What it means is that in order to access your own account at +net the telephone line in the flat must have ADSL activated on it and the isp that the ADSL points to must be with plusnet the same as you.

Not strictly true, I believe. IIRC Dave or Luke said that it has been known to work as long as someone else on the same DSLAM or something is on PlusNet, not necessarily that line.
N/A

Thanks for clearing that up petervaughan