cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Speed?

N/A

Usenet Speed?

Hi there,

is there a speed cap on usenet? i'm maxing at about 400kb/s when downloading headers but can reach to about 700kb/s when downloading the articles.

How many connections can i make?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Usenet Speed?

I think the max is 4 connections.

There are a few connection issues for some users on usenet at the moment so that may be limiting your speeds. I don't think there is a cap of download speed.
N/A

Usenet Speed?

You are on a 1Mb connection by the looks of things?

I'm also on 1Mb and I seem to get similar speeds to you, never quite maxing out my connection for some unknown reason.
Community Veteran

Usenet Speed?

I just found out the max connections are 8 per host per server and as there are 4 servers that's a total of 32.

It has also been confirmed there are no caps on download speed.

See This ADSLguide thread.
N/A

Usenet Speed?

Well not that I do it regularly, but I just tried to download headers from more than four groups at a time and got the error message: "Too many simultaneous connections; Maximum=4"
N/A

Usenet Speed?

thanks for the reply guys,

I too have tried multiple connections but only get to a max of 4.
Community Veteran

Usenet Speed?

I've asked Ben to check the numbers posted on the ADSLguide thread as I've always thought the limit was 4 hence my original post. Lets see what he says.
Community Veteran

Usenet Speed?

I've just checked this (found a newsreader that supported multiple servers) and can confirm I managed 8 connections on reader01, reader03 and reader04 but only 7 on reader02. This may have been a app bug but that is all I saw. It may be worth checking the config for reader02 in case it's a config issue.

One other thing I noticed, the reverse DNS for reader03 and reader04 is incorrect:

reader03 (212.159.2.88) resolves to ptn-nntp-textreader01.plus.net instead of ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net
reader04 (212.159.2.89) does not have a rDNS entry it appears.