cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of web space

N/A

Use of web space

Hi all,

I assume there's nothing to stop me using the webspace to upload files from work and then download them when I get home.

Seems like a cheap'n'cheerful way of getting access to files where other storage media are either not to hand or not convenient.

Cheers ta, Ian.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Use of web space

Yes, you can pretty much store what you want, provided you don't exceed the space limit and that the files are in acceptance of the AUP's and T&C's.
N/A

Use of web space

Thank you Philip,

It was just an idea that came to mind while twiddling my thumbs. I may not even use the webspace in this way but it is an option.
I guess I need to look at the T+C's to see what I cannot upload.

Cheers ta, Ian.
N/A

Use of web space

Are the plus net staff allowed to view your private website? are they allowed to view it if you have a .htaccess file on it restricting the site being public hence being private and personal webspace to store personal documents?

Tam
N/A

Use of web space

Not normaly, however, they may be able to do so under the terms and conditions / AUPs.

It would be wise to read them to to when and why they would.
N/A

I have since read these (twice)

Use of the webspace on the plusnet network is a good free service I have to admit. Although the staff do go through your website as stated in T&C's but what if you add a .htaccess and put a user / pass on the site are they still *legally* allowed to go in and view the contents of your webspace even though yoou have put a private lock on this ?( i know the techies can get in anyway)

OK good question: I want to store 250 meg of my mp3 collection, I am allowed to do this because i downloaded them from itunes and paid for them with my hard earned cash...yes? How can you prove this and can you delete this content for any reason?

Regards,

Tam

p.s. sorry if that didn't make sense, i'm in work and it is now 5:55am
Ianwild
Grafter

Use of web space

Hi Tam,

There are very few circumstances where we would actually remove content from a website ourselves...

As it stands, we obviously COULD view any part of the data you have stored on our platform, however I can assure you that this not something we do, or have any desire to do!

In the case you have suggested, you would be fine to store the tunes, which you had the legal right to own, on your webspace. Sharing these tunes openly on the web however might result in you breaching the terms of the copywrite, in which case you may well find that we are forwarding you an email from the RIAA...

Regards,

Ian
keithcalder
Grafter

Use of web space

I thought the R.I.A.A had no clowt in the Uk, as far as I am aware, by what I have read on the register, the RIAA cant do anything to us Brits, just the poor buggers in the states, in fact, the reg carries a story of a poor 12 year old girl who has been summoned for her crimes. I dont know what the world is coming too, a huge corporation going after a little girl, sad very very sad.
N/A

Use of web space

I believe she settled out of court for $2000.
keithcalder
Grafter

Use of web space

Personally speaking, if it were my child, I would have taken it all through the justice system and would not have paid them a nickel, I cant for the life of me, think why these large corporations can just do as they please. Thank god I dont live in the states cos my kids have heaps of mp3's.
N/A

Use of web space

I think the child's defence was that she did not know she waas breaking the law as the software used was licenced (Windoze and kazaa(sp)) and the files were available for download.

Is there case for saying that the mp3 version of a song is NOT a copy because its coding is changed from the original non-mp3 version?

Are you able to make mp3 "back-ups" (as copied software is often justified in this way)?

And, if you buy an mp3 player and the piece you wish to listen to is not available to be purchased in mp3 format, can you make and store an mp3 version of your own? Could this make mp3 players the next target of the corporations (only Sony players being able to play stuff licenced to Sony for example)?

(Have I got off the subject here?)